Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp HELP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurko1992

Reaction score
Hello guys, i'm new here, i just bought the preamp on ebay and was looking for a place that can help me :D
The seller told me that the Preamp

Code:
"is fully working and sounding great, but the previous owner decided to remove the reverb tank, reverb transformer and EQ+Rev jack socke for some reason... and that 2 slider caps are missing"

I'm live in Israel so is not easy to find on of this here, the only one that i found it, the guy wanted almost twice the price that i paid for this one...

So i decided to buy it, i check with a few people here in Israel, an the told me that if i don't want to use the Reverb, i don't need to worry, that the Poweramp will work without problems, but i ask them how much will to cost me to put back all of the stuff the were took off, and two diferent persons told me that it will cost between 230 and 430 USD (parts and work)
Another person told me that "why the previous owner took off the Reverb and that stuff, if he didn't want to use it, he didn't need to use it, but why take it off??", i don't know what to tell you about that :(

Another thing, i asked about if the part that i need will be "Original" and they told me that "there are not original parts, mesa boogie buy them from china, so you don't need to worry" something like that...

So can you help me and tell me if this is true? if i did a mistake in this purchase?

The reason that i want to put all back is, if i decide in a no so closer future to sell it, i can tell that everthing is in there, jeje

Hope that someone here can help me, and is something is not clear enough, tell me and i will try to explained again :D

thanks for the help men

i will update and post some pictures when all the stuff arrive.

but, can you tell me whta you think? it was worth it to buy it like this?

Best Regards

Hello,

I purchased a Studio Preamp about a year and half ago and I really like it. I read many post on this forum about what great little preamps they are, and listened to sound bites on youyube. Mine also came with out the reverb tank. I purchased a tank for it, but have not had my amp tech install it yet. I also need to get a cap job done on it and have everything checked out to make sure I'm getting everything I can from this amp. I run it thru a Mesa Boogie 20/20 with a professionally done deep mod and it rocks. I played it alot in the beginning, but I could hear her losing her voice a little. I cleaned up all the pots and cleaned the inside case and all PCB contacts, as well as new tubes, as it looked as if the original tubes from 1988 were still in it. Changing out the tubes helped a lot. I think I put JJ gold pin 12AX7's in it? I have a few tube amps and I sometimes change out tubes from one amp to another to troubleshoot and to get an idea of how certain tubes sound in certain amps. The best overall change I have heard so far from changing out tubes? I put some old vintage coke bottle Mesa 6L6 in my Peavey Ultra 120, along with new JJ preamp gold pin tubes. That Peavey Ultra went from being a bit shy and reserved to being an all out- tear your face off- beast! That thing is unbelievable. But as soon as I get the studio work done, I will be using it again exclusivley. I would recommed a cap job to go along with the other work. If it hasn't had a cap job, it's due. There is also another module on the PCB I've read about in the rack pieces forum, it has to do with sounds bleeding out into other areas of the amp, look in that forum and you will find it. i would do that repair as well. It sounds like alot, but it shouldnt cost all that much. Good luck, I will post the resultd after the work is done. I'm hoping for massive sound and overdrive!

thanks dude, the preamp arrived just a few hours ago, and my Niece and nephew are here and i can't play just yet, and i sent to the oficial mesa/boogie dealers here in Israel to get the part that i need, i wating for an answer yet.
but i will check what you said., thanks :D

here is my stuff :D
4NlaffT.jpg

V3 said:
I can tell you are a bit of a Nirvana fan!

a little bit :lol: :lol:

but really, this is what i want it, just now i could afford it, in the future, i want the kurt's blue mustang :mrgreen:

i play today and my dad ask me "evrething work ok?" (he help me with the conection cable between the crest and the mesa 2x12) and i ask: "what, you didn't hear me play?? so i can play louder", hahaha

people told me here that the crest have a lot of power and that it's not good to put it at half of it, that it could break the mesa 2x12 speakers, but i think that the volume on the preamp was at 2, so i will put it up a little bit, but i can tel you guys that i'm very happy with all of this stuff :D, i don't know if i will put back the stuff that the previous owner took off, just want the knobs and the 2 slider caps missing, that's the only thing that i don't like, hehe

Hi guys, i don't want to open a new topic, so, let's hope that someone can help me here :)

So, i finilly put everthing back to my preamp:

Reverb Tank - Reverb Transformer - EQ/Reverb Jack & the reverb tube is a 12AT7/ECC81 (and came with JJ tubes, i'm tring to find out which excactlly), when the volumen of the Reverb is from 1 to 5, everthing is ok, but if i put it from 5.5 or more, you can listen to something like "hum" no to loud, i need to really really listen, but it's there, the person that put all back said somthing like "it's ok, i supposedly do that" it's becoause of the Transformer (or something like that)
I don't need to put the reverb volumen more than 2 or 3 Anyway, but i want to know if is true or not, someone know somthing about this??

Thanks for the help.

the proximity of both the reverb tank and the reverb drive transformer to the power transformer within the relatively tight space of the studio preamp chassis is prone to hum. Make sure the reverb transformer primary and plate are wired backwards as Boogie originally wired it. And make sure the orientation of the reverb tank is in a favorable position as the input side is prone to pick up hum from the power transformer ....

i have successfully built studio preamp clones in a much tighter chassis following Boogies tight dress style and have ended up with hum free reverb...

hope this helps...

it's helps a lot, but, 2 things:
1) i undestand what i need to check, i just aren't very good at those stuff, jeje. can you send some pictures of how suppouse to be??
2) it can be bad at long term if i don't do nothing??
because like i said, you can lisent to it only when is at 5.5 and more..

Latest posts

Back