Best cab for a Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ime11

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I would like to know what would be the best match for a Mark IV for playing metal and heavy stuff. I'm looking for a sound with a lot of low end with palm mutes punchy and bassy. I'm between a recto cab 2x12 closed back and a Marshall JCM 900 lead 4x12 cab. I want it for bedroom playing so maybe the 2x12 option would be suitable but I've heard that the bigger the cab the more bassy it gets. There is a JCM 900 4x12 cab for $300 which seems to be a pretty good deal. But i am not completely sure. What do you guys think?

Hello,

I actually have both cabinets you mention. The 2x12 sounds better in my opinion, but the Marshall 4x12 900 sounds good. It's a heck of a lot louder than the 2x12 especially for bedroom level. Both cabinets are good cabinets. I picked up my 900 for 200 bucks, it's beat to hell but the speakers are solid--I took the back off the cabinet and inspected before I bought it. I sold my Mark IV years ago, so can't compare with that specific amp but I'd say, buy what you can afford.

jhilbert said:
Hello,

I actually have both cabinets you mention. The 2x12 sounds better in my opinion, but the Marshall 4x12 900 sounds good. It's a heck of a lot louder than the 2x12 especially for bedroom level. Both cabinets are good cabinets. I picked up my 900 for 200 bucks, it's beat to hell but the speakers are solid--I took the back off the cabinet and inspected before I bought it. I sold my Mark IV years ago, so can't compare with that specific amp but I'd say, buy what you can afford.

I think I will go for a 2x12 recto cab just because I don't want to blow away windows or the entire house with a 4x12.

The best cab for a Mark is always the Mark series metal grill cabs with C90s/EVM12Ls hands down in my opinion. 8)

I used to have a JCM 900 4x12 parked side by side with my Mark 4x12, and any of my amps always sounded thicker and better overall through the Mesa cab, even the Marshall TSL100 I had at the time! It was an unfair fight. So I sold the Marshall rig and got a second mesa cab.

If you are doing mostly bedroom jamming or recording, a 4x12 is overkill. I would search for a Mesa Mark vertical 2x12. Of your two stated choices, I would go with the Mesa Recto.

Latest posts

Back