MarkIII green stripe R2 volume mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plowdoggy

Reaction score
Hello: I'm brand new to this forum and to Mesa Boogie. I just acquired a 1989 MKIII green stripe. I have been trying to get some useful info on the R2 volume mod in this forum but all the posts regarding this mod are very old and the photos are not available. Sorry if I'm going over old territory here but I would be grateful if someone who has done this before could help or point me in the right direction. I understand it is a relatively easy thing to do.

Mucho Thanks!!

Hi, congrats on the new amp... i had a purple stripe MKIII that i had the R2 mod done to by Mike B at Mesa many moons ago, so I can't give you any info on how to do it, but I can say that after I had it done, i kinda regretted doing it. The "crunch" channel lost its "mojo", so instead of sounding fat and thick, with that "on the verge of breakup bloom" it sounded thin and kinda lifeless. I could balance the three channels volume after the mod, but i honestly would have reverted back to stock if i still had the amp. i had to sell during the recently ended "depression"... i was also living overseas at the time, so i just brought the chassis with me when i visited family in california and sent it to MB for the work, so when i was able to test was when i was back in europe and slapped it back into the combo and fired it up, that was the main reason i couldn't have Mike B adjust the mod or undo it, you might wanna try contacting MB.... sorry for the long post, hope this helps a bit...and as always, ymmv... good luck....

peace

Try here. I did this mod on mine and it's great and didn't change the tonality at all.

I have a Mk III black stripe.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18520&highlight=

After reading and looking at all the information I could gather, I successfully did the R2 mod myself. Pretty easy to do. I abandoned the direct out and wired to the direct out pot. and plugged the hole where the jack was.

Latest posts

Back