Mark III Blue Stripe Coliseum!... with a few small problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padreblue

Reaction score
Hey All! This is my first post here onto the boogie forums. I hail from a Southern California and have been playing guitar for over 12 years. My first introduction into Mesa was a 2001 Series I Single Rectifier I owned for about a year that was my favorite amp.. Until I got myself a '91 .50 Caliber+ combo! Now I have just gotten in a 1988 Mark III Blue Stripe Coliseum off eBay and am loving it so far!
Having a few issues though..

A few nights ago I was getting ready to start recording a video with the Mark III when the amp started to short out, and either tube 5 or 6 was lighting up like a firework
I shut the amp off and took it into my local tech who found that the amp didn't have the proper fuse in it (it tried blowing but wouldn't because it was such high voltage) he swapped in a new one, and checked all the tubes.. Couldn't find anything!
So he swapped tubes 5 & 6 into the 1 & 2 position and now we're playing the waiting game to see if one of the tubes goes haywire again, or the slot itself. Only thing of notice I've seen so far is no blue glow from tube 4. Other than that she's working great, but any ideas what could've caused that and why the tube won't glow blue?

Another issue I've noticed I'm having is I'm not getting any reverb. When it was in the shop I had the tech test out the reverb pot and the tube and they were affecting the signal, but when I plug in and play I can't hear hardly any reverb unless it's on 10 for he clean Handel. And on both rhythm banners it adds this weird compression to the tone

A few questions. Is it slot four or tube four that wont glow blue?
Also get a new reverb tank and your reverb should come back. The old foam they used internally degrades and gets all over the springs ruining the reverb effect.

kippiejr said:
A few questions. Is it slot four or tube four that wont glow blue?
Also get a new reverb tank and your reverb should come back. The old foam they used internally degrades and gets all over the springs ruining the reverb effect.
Thank you! It's the tube, I swapped it into position 3 and it still does it.

Latest posts

Back