Mesa Boogie mark III and "tweed tone"?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jussi

Reaction score
Mesa boogie mark III owner's manual promises the following:
"This amplifier has been designed, refined
and constructed to deliver maximum musical performance of any style, in any situation".
Is that true?

I am trying to set and find for more than 2 years, that's how I would get 'fat and creamy (late 50's) tweed' sound distortion/overdrive from mark III??

I have not succeeded. How is it done ???? Yes, I have read (ie, translated) mark III manual, but not a good result.

Setting tips or help?

Sorry to disappoint you but to exactly match a tweed tone is not possible. The designs of the Mark III and a Tweed Fender are too different. The Tweed has lower voltages and gets much of its sound by the compression and sag that comes from an intentionally underdesigned power supply. The Mark III has a relatively stiff power supply and gets most of its tone from the preamp. You may get close with the following settings:

Volume 7
Treble 8 or higher, pull shift
Bass 0-1, no shift
Mid 8 or higher
Master to taste, pull deep when lower than 2
Lead drive 3-4, no bright
Lead master to taste
Presence to taste, start at 6

Alternatively you can try to get it in the R2 mode with the Volume at 8 or 9. Rest of the settings can remain the same (of course, ignore the lead drive and lead master settings).

Good luck,
Stephan

Latest posts

Back