Mark III+ Mod Still Available?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack s.

Reaction score
I tried out a new JP2C and loved it. I'd love to buy one, but it's a pricey amp so I'd have to sell one of my nicer axes to get one. I was reading up on the III+ mod. Does Mesa still do this mod to Mark IIIs? A more cost effective route than buying a JP2C would be to buy a Mark III and get it modded. Also, is there a way to set up a footswitchable volume boost with a Mark III? I need a volume boost for solos in the band I am in currently. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-Jack

The mod is still available, but not exactly cheap. I am local and just had my Mark III done. Between the basic service, parts, III+ mod, and a pentode/triode switch I paid just over $700. That doesn't include any shipping or tubes either. Add the cost of a Mark III to that and you aren't far from a used JP2C as far as I understand.

s-fresh said:
The mod is still available, but not exactly cheap. I am local and just had my Mark III done. Between the basic service, parts, III+ mod, and a pentode/triode switch I paid just over $700. That doesn't include any shipping or tubes either. Add the cost of a Mark III to that and you aren't far from a used JP2C as far as I understand.

Yikes, I was under the impression that it was more like $250. Yeah, that wouldn't be as great of a deal after all.

If you already have a Mark III and it's in relatively good health it can be a lot cheaper, but these things are 30 years old and a lot of them have never been serviced. Many will need caps and other parts replaced. The mod is $200 to Mike B, but the Mesa part of the bill can grow if your amp needs a lot of help. The Pentode/Triode switch added about $150 to my bill, but my other Mark III already had it and I am planning on keeping this one so I figured I would just go for it. Also mine was an early one (with 105PT) so the R2 mod Mike does was a little more time consuming and expensive. Once again I was planning on this being my keeper so I just spent the money.

s-fresh said:
If you already have a Mark III and it's in relatively good health it can be a lot cheaper, but these things are 30 years old and a lot of them have never been serviced. Many will need caps and other parts replaced. The mod is $200 to Mike B, but the Mesa part of the bill can grow if your amp needs a lot of help. The Pentode/Triode switch added about $150 to my bill, but my other Mark III already had it and I am planning on keeping this one so I figured I would just go for it. Also mine was an early one (with 105PT) so the R2 mod Mike does was a little more time consuming and expensive. Once again I was planning on this being my keeper so I just spent the money.

Gotcha. I wouldn't need the pentode/triode switch, but from what I've read the R2 mod would be the way to go. Will that allow you to dial in a pretty significant solo boost between channels? I need a heavy rhythm sound as well as a saturated lead tone at a higher volume for solos. Obviously the servicing would be necessary to get the amp ready for gigging.

JOEY B. said:
Clean boost pedal in the effects loop would do that trick.

Cool:) Do you have to get a pedal specifically for low-impedance signals? The effects loop would be a low-impedance signal right?

What about the Studio Preamp as a cost effective solution? I thought the Studio Preamp was closer to a c+ than the Mark III+ red stripe DRG I tried.

xdg999 said:
What about the Studio Preamp as a cost effective solution? I thought the Studio Preamp was closer to a c+ than the Mark III+ red stripe DRG I tried.

Ok cool. I'll keep an eye out on ebay and Reverb for one of these.

I think the III+ mod is a Mike B. secret. I suppose you could reverse engineer it if you really wanted to. Last year I shipped my III to Petaluma to fix some mistakes I made trying to do some work on it and to get the III+ mod while it was there, and I think the total cost including shipping there and back was around $600. It came back sounding incredible. I am a firm believer in the III+ mod. The lead channel has a harmonic richness now that is just to die for.

Whoopysnorp said:
I think the III+ mod is a Mike B. secret. I suppose you could reverse engineer it if you really wanted to. Last year I shipped my III to Petaluma to fix some mistakes I made trying to do some work on it and to get the III+ mod while it was there, and I think the total cost including shipping there and back was around $600. It came back sounding incredible. I am a firm believer in the III+ mod. The lead channel has a harmonic richness now that is just to die for.

Cool. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a Mark III with EQ. I'm not seeing a lot of Studio preamps for sale unfortunately. I've only found one online and it is kind of expensive. I'll keep an eye out for one though. That seems like a legit alternative. People seem to want a lot for used JP2Cs. I can spend about $1500 total, and they seem to be going used for about 2k right now. The Mark IIIs without EQ seem to go for a lot less. Putting a graphic EQ in the effects loop of a Mark III won't sound the same with that particular circuit correct?

It probably won't sound completely the same, but might sound just fine. Plenty of people do that.

I have a Studio Pre too and it's very cool. One of my favorite pieces actually; I've had it for 11 years now. You should be able to snag one for $350-$400. It's in a similar tonal universe as the III+ but they're still quite different.

I guess it would be a good idea to point out here that a III+ still sounds like a III, just nicer. It will probably still sound different than a JP2C. The clips I've heard of that do sound closer to my Studio Pre.

Whoopysnorp said:
It probably won't sound completely the same, but might sound just fine. Plenty of people do that.

I have a Studio Pre too and it's very cool. One of my favorite pieces actually; I've had it for 11 years now. You should be able to snag one for $350-$400. It's in a similar tonal universe as the III+ but they're still quite different.

Ok sounds like I have some good more affordable options. I've decided to try and sell one of my more valuable axes so that I can get a used JP2C. I find that the expensive axes take some time to move though....we'll see how it goes.

BoogieHog said:
I'm thinking about iii+'ing my Purple Stripe Coli and am looking for opinions. Should I go for it? Possible/Probable Cost?

I contacted Mesa and they said Mike B will only do the mod if he services the amp too. Servicing was $200-300 and the mod was $200 I think. That is without shipping each way which you'd also have to pay for of course....adds up pretty fast.

Played a stock Mark III 1/12 60 watt combo with graphic EQ this weekend. It was pretty awesome. I preferred it over the new Mesas I've played. I'm going to pick one of those up soon and maybe get the mod on down the line. The Mark IIIs seem like such a great deal.

Latest posts

Back