Mark III+ Mod Still Available?

Pre Recto days. Boogie modified Fenders, Mark I-IV, Dual Calibers, etc

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

jack s.
Mark II

Mark III+ Mod Still Available?

Post by jack s. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:21 pm

I tried out a new JP2C and loved it. I'd love to buy one, but it's a pricey amp so I'd have to sell one of my nicer axes to get one. I was reading up on the III+ mod. Does Mesa still do this mod to Mark IIIs? A more cost effective route than buying a JP2C would be to buy a Mark III and get it modded. Also, is there a way to set up a footswitchable volume boost with a Mark III? I need a volume boost for solos in the band I am in currently. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-Jack

s-fresh
Mark III

Re: Mark III+ Mod Still Available?

Post by s-fresh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:44 pm

The mod is still available, but not exactly cheap. I am local and just had my Mark III done. Between the basic service, parts, III+ mod, and a pentode/triode switch I paid just over $700. That doesn't include any shipping or tubes either. Add the cost of a Mark III to that and you aren't far from a used JP2C as far as I understand.

jack s.
Mark II

Post by jack s. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 pm

s-fresh wrote:The mod is still available, but not exactly cheap. I am local and just had my Mark III done. Between the basic service, parts, III+ mod, and a pentode/triode switch I paid just over $700. That doesn't include any shipping or tubes either. Add the cost of a Mark III to that and you aren't far from a used JP2C as far as I understand.
Yikes, I was under the impression that it was more like $250. Yeah, that wouldn't be as great of a deal after all.

s-fresh
Mark III

Post by s-fresh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:10 am

If you already have a Mark III and it's in relatively good health it can be a lot cheaper, but these things are 30 years old and a lot of them have never been serviced. Many will need caps and other parts replaced. The mod is $200 to Mike B, but the Mesa part of the bill can grow if your amp needs a lot of help. The Pentode/Triode switch added about $150 to my bill, but my other Mark III already had it and I am planning on keeping this one so I figured I would just go for it. Also mine was an early one (with 105PT) so the R2 mod Mike does was a little more time consuming and expensive. Once again I was planning on this being my keeper so I just spent the money.

JOEY B.
Dual Recto

Post by JOEY B. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:42 am

s-fresh wrote: The Pentode/Triode switch added about $150 to my bill, but my other Mark III already had it and I am planning on keeping this one so I figured I would just go for it.
Is that other Mark III a green stripe long chassis type?
"One of these days, I'm gonna change my evil ways....... one of these days.

jack s.
Mark II

Post by jack s. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:54 am

s-fresh wrote:If you already have a Mark III and it's in relatively good health it can be a lot cheaper, but these things are 30 years old and a lot of them have never been serviced. Many will need caps and other parts replaced. The mod is $200 to Mike B, but the Mesa part of the bill can grow if your amp needs a lot of help. The Pentode/Triode switch added about $150 to my bill, but my other Mark III already had it and I am planning on keeping this one so I figured I would just go for it. Also mine was an early one (with 105PT) so the R2 mod Mike does was a little more time consuming and expensive. Once again I was planning on this being my keeper so I just spent the money.
Gotcha. I wouldn't need the pentode/triode switch, but from what I've read the R2 mod would be the way to go. Will that allow you to dial in a pretty significant solo boost between channels? I need a heavy rhythm sound as well as a saturated lead tone at a higher volume for solos. Obviously the servicing would be necessary to get the amp ready for gigging.

JOEY B.
Dual Recto

Post by JOEY B. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:49 am

Clean boost pedal in the effects loop would do that trick.
"One of these days, I'm gonna change my evil ways....... one of these days.

s-fresh
Mark III

Post by s-fresh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 am

JOEY B. wrote:Is that other Mark III a green stripe long chassis type?
Nope, the first was a red stripe, current one black stripe, both were short chassis.

jack s.
Mark II

Post by jack s. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:20 pm

JOEY B. wrote:Clean boost pedal in the effects loop would do that trick.
Cool:) Do you have to get a pedal specifically for low-impedance signals? The effects loop would be a low-impedance signal right?

xdg999
Donating Member

Post by xdg999 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:35 pm

What about the Studio Preamp as a cost effective solution? I thought the Studio Preamp was closer to a c+ than the Mark III+ red stripe DRG I tried.

jack s.
Mark II

Post by jack s. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:55 pm

xdg999 wrote:What about the Studio Preamp as a cost effective solution? I thought the Studio Preamp was closer to a c+ than the Mark III+ red stripe DRG I tried.

Ok cool. I'll keep an eye out on ebay and Reverb for one of these.

jack s.
Mark II

Post by jack s. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:57 am

Is the Mark III+ mod something my local tech could do? That might end up being cheaper possibly.

Whoopysnorp
Mark IV

Post by Whoopysnorp » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:26 am

I think the III+ mod is a Mike B. secret. I suppose you could reverse engineer it if you really wanted to. Last year I shipped my III to Petaluma to fix some mistakes I made trying to do some work on it and to get the III+ mod while it was there, and I think the total cost including shipping there and back was around $600. It came back sounding incredible. I am a firm believer in the III+ mod. The lead channel has a harmonic richness now that is just to die for.

jack s.
Mark II

Post by jack s. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:55 am

Whoopysnorp wrote:I think the III+ mod is a Mike B. secret. I suppose you could reverse engineer it if you really wanted to. Last year I shipped my III to Petaluma to fix some mistakes I made trying to do some work on it and to get the III+ mod while it was there, and I think the total cost including shipping there and back was around $600. It came back sounding incredible. I am a firm believer in the III+ mod. The lead channel has a harmonic richness now that is just to die for.
Cool. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a Mark III with EQ. I'm not seeing a lot of Studio preamps for sale unfortunately. I've only found one online and it is kind of expensive. I'll keep an eye out for one though. That seems like a legit alternative. People seem to want a lot for used JP2Cs. I can spend about $1500 total, and they seem to be going used for about 2k right now. The Mark IIIs without EQ seem to go for a lot less. Putting a graphic EQ in the effects loop of a Mark III won't sound the same with that particular circuit correct?

Whoopysnorp
Mark IV

Post by Whoopysnorp » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:52 pm

It probably won't sound completely the same, but might sound just fine. Plenty of people do that.

I have a Studio Pre too and it's very cool. One of my favorite pieces actually; I've had it for 11 years now. You should be able to snag one for $350-$400. It's in a similar tonal universe as the III+ but they're still quite different.