Need help deciding between two amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiiqwertyuiop

Reaction score
So I am trying to decide between two amps: the Mark IV and Tremoverb. I have heard the cleans on both of them are pretty good, so I am not worried about that, my main concern is the distortion between them. For that, I am looking for a more versatile modern kind of distortion, I don't really care about classic rock type of sound or anything, and I also want it to get tighter when I need it for lead playing. I have been kind of leaning towards the mark iv because I have been reading the lead channel is very good, but I guess that main thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on it is the fact that I get the impression that you can't really switch from a rhythm distortion to a lead distortion (although I'm not sure how the GEQ would play into that), where with the Tremoverb you can have two separate channels with their own settings you can switch between, plus it has that classic "recto" sound (the problem with that though is I have heard it is harder to get the amp tighter when need be, but I have also heard the orange/vintage setting is just as heavy but less loose(?)).

I'd like to hear any opinions and insight people have on these two amps as it would really help and be greatly appreciated!

The "loose" feeling of the Tremoverb can be helped with the Vintage mode and a compressor in the effects loop. With that being said, I think the Mark series amps will do much better for lead playing. The options of the footswitch will allow you to use the lead channel with or without the graphic EQ. This is the key to what you are looking for, and more than likely why it is available.

Well I guess my next question then is, how essential is the GEQ to the IV? Like can you make the similar sounds without it just using the EQ knobs on the amp?

wiiqwertyuiop said:
Well I guess my next question then is, how essential is the GEQ to the IV? Like can you make the similar sounds without it just using the EQ knobs on the amp?
Depending on what you want the amp to do, the GEQ may or may not be essential. Part of the key to the answer is that the EQ knobs do not do the same thing the GEQ does.

Bear in mind, the EQ knobs are pre-gain, and the GEQ is post-gain. Because of their different positions in the gain structure, they have very different impacts on the tone.

For example, if you want to add bass to your sound, it is best to do it post-gain in a Mark IV. If you use the bass EQ knob (remembering it is pre-gain) you run a risk of adding too much bass (as in, anything above 2) and causing the bass to be overloaded in the preamp. The result - the amp starts to "fart out" in its sound. But, adding it back in via the GEQ (post-gain) gives you all the bottom you need.

That's why you see so many metal players using the V shape on the Mark IV's GEQ (they shape the post-gain tone).

I am the opposite of that. For the things I play, I don't really need to shape the post-gain tone a whole lot. I like what the pre-gain tone shaping offers. I don't use the GEQ much. But, it is very nice to have it there.

And, the GEQ can work pretty good as a "poor man's" boost. Simply move all the sliders up an equal amount, and engage the GEQ when you need the boost.

Summary: The EQ knobs provide pre-gain tone shaping. The GEQ sliders provide post-gain tone shaping. Whether or not the GEQ is essential depends upon whether or not you need post-gain tone shaping.

I hope this made sense. If not, let me know what part was confusing and I will try to clear the mud out of the way.

PS: Previous posters nailed this: The lead tone of the Mark series is fantastic!

Thanks for the reply, that made a lot of sense. Maybe I should look into getting a EQ pedal, that way I can set up a rhythm and then use the EQ pedal for a lead tone. But I'll probably mess around with the amp a lot before I do that. I am pretty much leaning on getting the Mark IV over the Tremoverb right now.

Back