Mark IV disappointing gain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpNorthMark

Reaction score
Hi guys new to the board and new owner of a Mark IV combo, it is high serial number unit made towards the end of the run. My concern is the gain this produces is not all that impressive based on all the videos I've seen. The previous owner claimed the tubes have around 7-10 hours on them and are about a yaer old but R2 seems very anemic and the lead channel leaves a bit to desire. I have a JP-2C now that I really dig but the Mark IV gain isn't even close. I have had Daul Rec's, DC series and a couple of Mark V's and the IV isn't close to any of them, any suggestions? Could it be tubes? They are all Mesa branded tubes in it. Thanks for any advice or suggestions you may have.
Mark

I am a recent mark iv owner and also new to the board! My iv is later also. I am not dissapointed in the gain. I think the settings are everything in that department. If I were to take a guess I would say you have a tube issue/s. A lot of guys don't like R2 on the mark iv. I am not one of those people though.
For me the tone of R2 is great for what I want out of it. In a way I like the tone (not the gain) about as much as the lead channel. It is just that the lead channel has a lot more gain and compression available. R2 sounds good with a boost pedal kind of scenario also if you want it to have what the lead channel has. For me R2 absolutely needs to have the gain/pull fat pulled and wide open. Also the presence pulled. It still is not metal gain at it's best but it is a good classic rock gain that a boost can push onward. I use it as chicken pickin' slight dirty with guitar volume down/single coils and humbuckers full up should get you cream, free, allman brothers, crunchy rhythm stuff. The lead channel should get you to petrucci gain levels if desired...he used to use those.
I tried the jpc briefly (maybe not enough time spent) but I did not think it had any more gain on tap than the lead channel of the iv. I realize it is more like two lead channels than say the iv with R2 being lesser gain than the lead. This is why I say maybe some tube experimenting.

Just for kicks try this...set lead channel like this--

lead gain 8 and pull fat
treble - 6 or more
bass - zero or up slightly
mid- maybe 4-5, I run mine about 6-7 but I like thick mids the pickups make a big difference here
lead drive 8

I run presence at zero and definitely pulled. you may want to open up the presence more than me because I like it smoother

class a
and mid gain

that should be pretty thick and chewy. petrucci settings are easy to look up, you could try that.

you can mess with the eq a bit but I usually just use it very slightly depending on the room not for the big v mid scoop thing.

Just my 2 cents...maybe that was like $1.50!

Thanks for the tips. I actually had more time to mess with it last night and ended up very close to those settings and found I needed a better balance of output and master volumes along with going into my vertical 2x12 cab got me that sound I was expecting. Pretty happy now that I'm learning that such minor adjustments make such a huge different.

Try experimenting with the switches on the back - the Harmonics/Mid Gain one in particular can make a big difference - Mid Gain seems a bit gainier to me, although I've found I prefer the harmonics setting in the long run.

Make sure you Pull Fat on both gain knobs. Especially on Rhy2 - it makes a huge difference.

And don't forget the Lead Drive knob - put it at 6 or 7 and it'll make a big difference in how Lead Gain works.

sduck said:
Try experimenting with the switches on the back - the Harmonics/Mid Gain one in particular can make a big difference - Mid Gain seems a bit gainier to me, although I've found I prefer the harmonics setting in the long run.

Make sure you Pull Fat on both gain knobs. Especially on Rhy2 - it makes a huge difference.

And don't forget the Lead Drive knob - put it at 6 or 7 and it'll make a big difference in how Lead Gain works.

I always select Harmonics. Very tasty! I also typically run in Class A/Triode for early breakup. I've found that R2 is actually my favorite MkIV lead channel when using a guitar with a toasty hot pickup such as the Duncan PATB2. Such pickups make the Lead channel overkill!

Latest posts

Back