Volume control with Studio Pre + 2:90?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgan138

Reaction score
I'm going to be taking the plunge from heads and combos to a rack setup. I know this is a really rudimentary question, but I don't want to get tripped up with all these new knobs...

How should I be setting my master volume, output volume, and power amp volumes? Which one(s) should I be using to control how loud this contraption is?

For an output with a studio pre, I found the effect send to have the best tone. It had a less compressed feel than the standard or recording compensated outputs. I had a Simul-stereo 295 power amp and never had the master above 1.5 on a scale of 1-10. Unlike Marshall & Fender amps, I rarely turned any knob to 10 (dimed) but a lot were in the 6-9 range except the bass control. I had a BBE 822A sonic maximizer in the middle which made a world of difference in the way the bass attacks.

Here's my unit. 180 watt 1/8 ton of mean metal tone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/15345519529/in/dateposted-public/

Markedman said:
For an output with a studio pre, I found the effect send to have the best tone. It had a less compressed feel than the standard or recording compensated outputs.
Whoa, that sounds...odd? I mean, I can definitely see the compensated outputs being weird-sounding but would have figured the regular ones would be fine.

That rig looks awesome! Which control(s) do you use to turn your volume up and down? My instinct from running rack PA systems would be to set the pre output volumes and power amp volumes and leave them alone, then use the master to control my level. But it seems like the manual recommends parking the master at 5 and then adjusting something further down the chain...?

Just realized there was a whole sub-forum for rack gear that this obviously should've been posted to. That's what I get for having Vintage Amps (Before 1991) tunnel visions. Not sure how to delete a thread, but anyone who can should feel free to do so!

Hi Morgan, I have my Quad's master at 5, and adjust my volume on the power amp. I use a smaller power amp, a 50/50, and it rarely goes over 3.

I tried using the effects send, but I did not notice much of a difference. Don't be afraid to experiment!

The Master and Lead Master on the amp are actually pretty early in the chain, and control the level sent to the effects loop. Therefore, they kind of work best to control the balance between the Rhythm and Lead channels, and your effects send level. If you've got a rack effect in the loop, the MASTER will control the level it sees, which might overload some effects, or under feed them depending on the level they expect to see. Around 5 is the standing mid-level for effects send and probably a good starting point.

After that, I don't really have a good answer. You can set the power amp volume high to ensure it's running well, then use the output level to control volume, (though if you use the effects send straight to effects then the power amp, rather than back to the return then the real outputs, then those knobs won't do anything). I would probably set the output around half as well, then control with the Power amp volumes. But experiment, The output level will control what the input of the Power amp sees, if you boost the output to 10 you might get some additional overdrive at the input stage of the Power amp, or the phase inverter. You might like that, or you might find a low output sounds better.

As for the Effects vs normal, The effects return goes through an additional tube and some circuitry, so it'll sound a bit different than the effects send signal anyway. Then the recording outs circuit actually does do a bit of dampening on the main outputs as well, might take a little high away?

So I'd just experiment and see what sounds good.

Latest posts

Back