Hardwood Heads!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s-fresh

Reaction score
I keep finding deals, therefor I keep buying hardwood heads! Need more hardwood cabs now!

33002265174_fd52669ac3_c.jpg

jediguitarist said:
That's sweet! Any of them custom or they're all authentic Boogie factory?
You know, I am not really sure. The middle one I am the most curious about. I sent photos over to Mesa customer service before buying and they thought it was legit. I paid as if it was legit too. But once I got it the grill is a little funky, looks like the wrong wicker. The plywood under the wicker is also a different color than others I've seen. Now that I have another short head I can see the grill section on the middle one is taller as well. I am not sure if that is just a difference between DC series and Mark series headshells? The dovetails look good, cleats in the rear, one-piece board, cutout in the front for the fan, etc, etc, etc. It all looks right, I just guess the wicker/grill just has alarms going off. It's a cool piece either way so I will happily hang onto it. I would like to get the "proper" wicker installed though.

Yeah, man. It's a great looking piece. I didn't even notice the wicker differences until you pointed it out. Lol. Whoever did the build, did a great job whether it was from Boogie or a custom. 8)

I'm replacing a torn cloth on a Mark IV with the wicker. I'm debating on staining the wicker to match my other Mark or letting it change naturally. The bright wicker just screams aftermarket. Lol.

jediguitarist said:
Yeah, man. It's a great looking piece. I didn't even notice the wicker differences until you pointed it out. Lol. Whoever did the build, did a great job whether it was from Boogie or a custom. 8)

I'm replacing a torn cloth on a Mark IV with the wicker. I'm debating on staining the wicker to match my other Mark or letting it change naturally. The bright wicker just screams aftermarket. Lol.
Good luck with the repair! I would be interested in hearing how it goes when you get it all sorted.

dlpasco said:
my god, those look hot.

Yes indeed. My amp quest will be complete when I finally pair a medium chassis MkIII, IV or V head with a 2x12 matching wicker cabinet. True works of art....

Where are they though?! You see all kinds of Mark V stuff out there, but I have only ever seen one "vintage" cab that I think is 2x12" in hardwood. Everything else is 1x12" compact or wide-body stuff. I would absolutely love to find a Mark II-IV era 2x12" cab, but I can't even find any photos of them online other than this one. Looks pretty narrow compared to a medium head! Anyone have any photos to share?

Ha! Did some quick searching and it turns out that one isn't even from Mesa: http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1330

It looks nice either way. I bought enough sapele to make one of my own, but it's not the same as finding a real one out in the wild. I'm starting to doubt there is much to even find out there for bigger hardwood cabs.

Just found the first factory Mesa hardwood widebody speaker cabinet I've ever seen for sale on my local CL. Sadly it is attached to a medium hardwood head as well and out of my price range. This is the first I've seen that I think is from the "vintage" era, although the jack plate is newer and mislabeled so I don't know what's going on here. Rare stuff either way!

Back