The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:27 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I know a Mark III has a ton of gain, but I'm just curious if any of you use an overdrive pedal with your Mark III? If so, what channel do you use it with?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 pm 
Mark II

I just used an MXR microamp clean boost and a Dunlop Wah with my Mk III for 20+ years but the past couple of years I've added a Fulltone OCD. I have this set as a bright crunchy mid level gain that sits between the low gain of R2 and a saturated eq'd Lead. My Mark III is a purple stripe so R2 is slightly warm. The OCD is nice and edgy.

I either use it into a clean R1 or to cream up R2. I don't need it with the lead channel.

The Fulltone OCD def. seems to work very well with the Mark iii. Recommended. It has both a bright & dark modes.

I was out playing last night and my boogie also had a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 to give more range of colour for a broad set of cover numbers. Cranked up a bit it is more tubescreamer like than the OCD and hits the mids nicely.

Finding the Fulltones has taken away my desire to look at a Mark 5 with more control of each channel as I can get all the clean, crunch and gain tones I want now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm 
Mark II

Promethean wrote:
I just used an MXR microamp clean boost and a Dunlop Wah with my Mk III for 20+ years but the past couple of years I've added a Fulltone OCD. I have this set as a bright crunchy mid level gain that sits between the low gain of R2 and a saturated eq'd Lead. My Mark III is a purple stripe so R2 is slightly warm. The OCD is nice and edgy.

I either use it into a clean R1 or to cream up R2. I don't need it with the lead channel.

The Fulltone OCD def. seems to work very well with the Mark iii. Recommended. It has both a bright & dark modes.

I was out playing last night and my boogie also had a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 to give more range of colour for a broad set of cover numbers. Cranked up a bit it is more tubescreamer like than the OCD and hits the mids nicely.

Finding the Fulltones has taken away my desire to look at a Mark 5 with more control of each channel as I can get all the clean, crunch and gain tones I want now.

Interesting. R2 on the MkIII is definitely wooly! It doesn't need more bass, although more edge would be helpful.

I sometimes use an MXR 10-band EQ as steroids for R2, although otherwise, I use only the tone straight from the amp. The Lead Channel comes from Mount Olympus and is always pure!! I sometimes use a distortion pedal through R1 for something totally different, such as a Marshall Shredmaster.

Charvel San Dimas I Koa
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Carvin DC127 Koa
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 XL + Exotic
Fender Tele
Carvin C780 A/E

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 am 
Mark II

Never felt like I needed an OD pedal my a Mark 3. I don't use R2 either, just the Lead channel!

With the gain way down around 1-2 it's a great overdrive, and you can really fine tune it for thickness, clarity, and subtle fuzziness using the Preamp gain and EQ knobs. I wish they made OD pedals that sounded that good and tweakable!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 pm 
Mark I

I have an Analogman-modded Maxon OD9 (TS9 w/true bypass/Silver mod) and a KOT (high gain one side, 4 jack version). I can get almost any tone I want without the pedals but can accommodate more guitars, pickup combinations and midi-switched presets without changing amp settings by using the pedals. Sometimes for practice or home recording I'll use the pedals too cuz they both sound great. Huge number of great sounds available. I could absolutely show up to a jam with no (gain/distortion) pedals and make it work but what fun would that be!
FYI, my Mark III has the +mod which includes R2 mod. I seem to need the pedals less at higher volumes but don't do that much these days.
=CPW=

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 pm 
Donating Member

Fenderman wrote:
I know a Mark III has a ton of gain, but I'm just curious if any of you use an overdrive pedal with your Mark III? If so, what channel do you use it with?

Thanks!

I use an OD808 with R2, but that's it. Good amp.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:55 pm 
Bottle Rocket

MXR Super Badass Distortion. My favorite distortion pedal. Works great as a boost. Just put the gain on no more than 25%.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:57 pm 
Mark III

I use a boost with R2. I also use it with the lead channel which allows me to turn the gain down to around 5 or 6 which really opens it up compared to no boost & the gain around 7 or 8.