Overdrive pedal with Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenderman

Reaction score
I know a Mark III has a ton of gain, but I'm just curious if any of you use an overdrive pedal with your Mark III? If so, what channel do you use it with?

Thanks!

I just used an MXR microamp clean boost and a Dunlop Wah with my Mk III for 20+ years but the past couple of years I've added a Fulltone OCD. I have this set as a bright crunchy mid level gain that sits between the low gain of R2 and a saturated eq'd Lead. My Mark III is a purple stripe so R2 is slightly warm. The OCD is nice and edgy.

I either use it into a clean R1 or to cream up R2. I don't need it with the lead channel.

The Fulltone OCD def. seems to work very well with the Mark iii. Recommended. It has both a bright & dark modes.

I was out playing last night and my boogie also had a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 to give more range of colour for a broad set of cover numbers. Cranked up a bit it is more tubescreamer like than the OCD and hits the mids nicely.

Finding the Fulltones has taken away my desire to look at a Mark 5 with more control of each channel as I can get all the clean, crunch and gain tones I want now.

Promethean said:
I just used an MXR microamp clean boost and a Dunlop Wah with my Mk III for 20+ years but the past couple of years I've added a Fulltone OCD. I have this set as a bright crunchy mid level gain that sits between the low gain of R2 and a saturated eq'd Lead. My Mark III is a purple stripe so R2 is slightly warm. The OCD is nice and edgy.

I either use it into a clean R1 or to cream up R2. I don't need it with the lead channel.

The Fulltone OCD def. seems to work very well with the Mark iii. Recommended. It has both a bright & dark modes.

I was out playing last night and my boogie also had a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 to give more range of colour for a broad set of cover numbers. Cranked up a bit it is more tubescreamer like than the OCD and hits the mids nicely.

Finding the Fulltones has taken away my desire to look at a Mark 5 with more control of each channel as I can get all the clean, crunch and gain tones I want now.

Interesting. R2 on the MkIII is definitely wooly! It doesn't need more bass, although more edge would be helpful.

I sometimes use an MXR 10-band EQ as steroids for R2, although otherwise, I use only the tone straight from the amp. The Lead Channel comes from Mount Olympus and is always pure!! I sometimes use a distortion pedal through R1 for something totally different, such as a Marshall Shredmaster.

Never felt like I needed an OD pedal my a Mark 3. I don't use R2 either, just the Lead channel!

With the gain way down around 1-2 it's a great overdrive, and you can really fine tune it for thickness, clarity, and subtle fuzziness using the Preamp gain and EQ knobs. I wish they made OD pedals that sounded that good and tweakable!

I have an Analogman-modded Maxon OD9 (TS9 w/true bypass/Silver mod) and a KOT (high gain one side, 4 jack version). I can get almost any tone I want without the pedals but can accommodate more guitars, pickup combinations and midi-switched presets without changing amp settings by using the pedals. Sometimes for practice or home recording I'll use the pedals too cuz they both sound great. Huge number of great sounds available. I could absolutely show up to a jam with no (gain/distortion) pedals and make it work but what fun would that be!
FYI, my Mark III has the +mod which includes R2 mod. I seem to need the pedals less at higher volumes but don't do that much these days.
=CPW=

Fenderman said:
I know a Mark III has a ton of gain, but I'm just curious if any of you use an overdrive pedal with your Mark III? If so, what channel do you use it with?

Thanks!

I use an OD808 with R2, but that's it. Good amp.

MXR Super Badass Distortion. My favorite distortion pedal. Works great as a boost. Just put the gain on no more than 25%.

I use a boost with R2. I also use it with the lead channel which allows me to turn the gain down to around 5 or 6 which really opens it up compared to no boost & the gain around 7 or 8.

I use my Bodenhammar modded TS-9 with the gain at 0 and the tone at 0. The way it attenuates the bass really tightens up the tone and adds more versatility.

If I want to get a more Marshally tone out of my Mk III I use a Barber Direct Drive with the amp in clean mode (R1).

Cheers Stephan

I just picked up a Blue Stripe MKIII combo 60 Watt with Reverb and EQ in December. Always wanted one of these amps and I have yet to find a bad tone in it.

So far I have played 2 gigs with it, and I haven't really been able to turn it up loud enough to try and balance all three channels at home. So I have been running pedals into the clean channel for gigs so far, which is a bit of a waste but it still sounds amazing. My signal chain is;
Kotzen Telecaster > MXR Dynamic Comp > Raff of Tone (KOT style pedal) > Hardwire DL8 > The Boogie

Hoping once I've had time to set up my sound and get used to channel switching I will just run the delay velcroed into the back of the amp!

My Boogie sitting on top of the open back 1x12 extension with Eminence Red White and Blues
wZfi9Cp.jpg
and the KOT style pedal I use is here: http://youtube/zXIM5juY6fk

No idea how to make youtube links work???

Latest posts

Back