MARK IV - Searching for a more open low end

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dow555

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I've had my mark IV short head for about a year now. I love it, but I'm trying to find a sound that has tons o gain, but still has a nice open low end that really chugs. My band is strating to do a lot more palm muting stuff and I have not been happy with the current setting. Any advice to open up the low end would be great.

Pentode, Class A, Harmonics switches

Lead channel (No pull shifts):

Preamp Gain: 8
Treble: around 8
Mid: 4
Bass: 2.5
Drive: 8
Lead Master: 7
Presence: 3-4

Master: 2.5
Graphic EQ: nice V setting

Let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks in advance guys!

Grandor said:
What tubes are you using?
What cabinet are you using and with what speakers?

+1 Both of those things make a huge difference in the sonic qualities you're talking about.

Have you tried rolling back your treb a bit and dialing a bit more bass? Say 4 - 4.5? Squash the presence too.

Grandor wrote:

I am using JJ tubes. 2 el34's and 2 6l6's.
I have a Mesa Recto Cab (slanted and closed back) with vintage 30's.

Have you tried rolling back your treb a bit and dialing a bit more bass? Say 4 - 4.5? Squash the presence too.

I've found that bring the bass past 3 tends to mud things up, but I know depending where the treble is, it really affects how the other controls react. I'll give it a whirl.

Dow555 said:
Grandor wrote:

I am using JJ tubes. 2 el34's and 2 6l6's.
I have a Mesa Recto Cab (slanted and closed back) with vintage 30's.

Perhaps 4 6l6's in the power section?

You'll get a lot more low end punch if you use Simul Class. In Class A mode you'd only be using the EL34s and getting maybe 30 watts output. Bass volume needs power! Don't hesitate to crank the bass sliders in the Graphic. You really have to tweak the Bass dial by quarter turns as it can pour a lot of gain into the preamp lending the muddy tone you mention.

Thanks for all the posts guys, especially the sound clips! I ended up getting closer to the sound i was looking for by doing the classic V setting on the graphic eq.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but pretty close and it still sounds awesome.

Perhaps another amp purchase in the near future! Or the voodoo amp mod sounds enticing.

Back