The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Studio 22
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:34 pm 
Mark III

I just traded my Hot Rod Deluxe for a Studio 22 yesterday. Dont see any talk about them round here. It had some mods done to it by Mesa . It was made in the early 80s. I noticed the second preamp tube from the right is a spax7-a instead of a 12ax7 and was wondering why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:55 pm 
Mark IV

Hm, I wonder how the lead drive mod is done? The lead master mod looks pretty simple and I'll probably do it to my .22 one of these days, but I haven't seen any discussion on a lead drive mod (I would find that very useful).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:45 pm 
Mark III

I can give you some more pics of the back if you want. The reverb and presence knobs are back there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 am 
Bottle Rocket

I just got 2 22s as well. Nice size. Let's here about all those mods from years past. I like this little amp and think I will keep one and mod or sell the other.

Pat@KOkomo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:06 pm 
Mark III

On the front they turned the reverb into lead drive and the presence into lead master. Put the reverb and presence in the back, and also put in a bigger reverb tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:16 pm 
Mark III

Hey, primeholy....Congrats on getting a Mesa 22!! They're great amps. I had mine for almost 10years and never a lick of trouble. The different tube you mention is probably from someone chasing a particular tone or trying to eliminate some noise (hiss). I know mine was very picky about what tubes it liked. I got the best results tonewise and quietness from EH and TungSol tubes. Enjoy and have fun.... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:03 pm 
Mark III

Thanks rocksalt7! I jammed on it for about two hours Saturday. If it had been my Hot Rod I mighta jammed for 20 minutes. The overdrive on this thing is too my liking!! Well tomorrow is band practice and cant wait to see if this will cut through! If so Saturday night it is coming to the gig with me! I will make my ValveKing my backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:43 pm 
Mark III

Wow!!! 2 hours...I'm intensely jealous :mrgreen: I've got a brand new Ace upstairs that I can't get on for a while due to some family commitments. My time will come...YEAH!!

I'm guessing your not gonna have any trouble at all being heard w/ your little 22. I took mine out a few times with a guy that had a Randall half stack and my 22+ just cooked him. I was asked to turn down way more than once!!! :twisted: Good Luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:18 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Love my 22

Pluged into various cabs bring a whole lot of other levels too...
The 4-10 Celestions in the mini Marshall and the Greenbacks in the Bluesbreaker are swell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:44 am 
Single Recto

This is interestion, the "Class A power" label. You may have a very early Studio .22
primeholy wrote:

Here's mine, its a Studio .22 Plus. Notice it has 8 knobs instead of 7 on the front panel and rocker switches instead of toggle switches on the right.
But yours with the new mods has an extra volume control similar to a Mark II, so you have more control for channel volume balance.

The biggest complaint of Studio .22 is volume balance between the lead and rhythm channel. In your case that is solved.

What I did is installed an 12AY7 in the V2 slot. Since I don't use that much gain in the lead channel, this help in balance the volumes between channel. The stock "Vintage" [Eminence] speaker is fine but I replace that with a Tone Tubby Ceramic. So now the amp has sweeter sustain but the grind, edge-ness is not there, that's the trade-off.

Studio .22 are cool amps. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:41 am 
Mark I

That tube you were asking about, SPAX7, is just a Mesa part number they put on "high performance" 12AX7's. They recommend these tubes for the V1 position on my Mark III, and probably other amps as well.

In reality the SPAX7 is just a high quality 12AX7.

Post subject: Studio .22+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:06 am 
Mark IV

[/quote]
Here's mine, its a Studio .22 Plus. Notice it has 8 knobs instead of 7 on the front panel and rocker switches instead of toggle switches on the right.
But yours with the new mods has an extra volume control similar to a Mark II, so you have more control for channel volume balance.

The biggest complaint of Studio .22 is volume balance between the lead and rhythm channel. In your case that is solved.

What I did is installed an 12AY7 in the V2 slot. Since I don't use that much gain in the lead channel, this help in balance the volumes between channel. The stock "Vintage" [Eminence] speaker is fine but I replace that with a Tone Tubby Ceramic. So now the amp has sweeter sustain but the grind, edge-ness is not there, that's the trade-off.

Studio .22 are cool amps. :P[/quote]

Serial number range for Studios .22+ goes from FP11,500, December 88, up to FP28,560, August 93.
I replaced the stock Vintage 50 speaker with a Celestion 90.
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:28 pm 
Mark IV

RR wrote:
This is interestion, the "Class A power" label. You may have a very early Studio .22

Mine has that too, plus a blue indicator light and the 'Boogie' grille badge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:20 pm 
Mark III

RR wrote:

Guy I got it from said it was an early 80s model. Any way to track the year by serial?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:14 pm 
Single Recto

primeholy wrote:
RR wrote:

Guy I got it from said it was an early 80s model. Any way to track the year by serial?
I can't spell worth beans "interesting" not "interestion". :oops:

Check member igfraso's post above checking on Studio .22 serial #s:
igfraso wrote:
Serial number range for Studios .22+ goes from FP11,500, December 88, up to FP28,560, August 93. ...
So if your is less than FP11,500 then its before December '88.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next