Rebuild Cost for MK III at Mesa Boogie headquaters

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandiwine

Reaction score
I have a 5/90 MK III green stripe in the rose wood cabinet and wicker cane speaker cover, signed MB. I am in need of a total rebuild to replace caps and anything else that is needed to bring up to specs. Any idea what Mesa Boogie charges to do this not counting shipping in 2016?
Any info would be helpful.

I definitely wouldn't call it a "rebuild" if you speak to Mesa. Just tell them that you want it checked over and a refresh. Unless you know for sure the caps are bad, they may not even be replaced. Also, assuming this is a combo, I'd just send in the chassis to cut down on shipping costs. Pack it well.

It's hard to give an estimate unless you have the amp and can assess what needs done, but it could range from the low side of a little over $100 if minimal needs done to $250+ if it needs some serious TLC.

Call Rich at Mesa to get a better estimate and an RMA # to send it in. Most of those guys are out of the office next week for the holidays, though, so keep that in mind if you have trouble reaching folks.

Thanks for the thumbs up. I did send a email request for a quote and have not heard back yet. I will definitely call after Xmas and ask for Rich. From what I read on this forum getting the green stripe back in shape will be well worth the effort.

Happy Holidays

The cost estimates you're seeing here are about right. I think my bill came to about $250, which included the price of two new 6L6s and correcting some shoddy work I had done attempting to replace the LDRs myself (oops). Mike was able to use the caps and LDRs I had bought, though, so there weren't any component costs in there. Mike and company are a joy to deal with; very friendly and responsive to your needs.

Actually now that I think of it I'm pretty sure that price included return shipping as well, which was $40 (this was a head, not a combo).

Thanks for the reply I will definitely contact them about sending it in for repairs after Xmas. Can't wait to get it fixed up.

Happy Holidays

My Mark III refresh last year cost somewhere in the mid 300 range including a new quad of power tubes and one new pre tube, shipped. 100% worth it.

Thanks for the info. I have heard that they can do some mods to the MK III to make it more like a MK IIC+. Did you have that mod
done to your amp?

I spoke to Mike about what I wanted, he was great. He did the C30 mod to tame the blue stripe harshness, and it really did. I run my presence up now. Also did the reverb mod. Here's a high gain sound clip.

https://youtu.be/5t339KHoOt4

I chose not to have him do the III+ / ++ mod. I wanted the amp to stay very forward and aggressive, as opposed to the + style "liquid lead" sound. Another guy I heard got it done though, and his really does sound great. Can't really go wrong either way.

I don't think you'll be sorry. My III sounds better than it ever did before after coming back from Mesa with a clean bill of health and the + mod.

GJgo said:
I spoke to Mike about what I wanted, he was great. He did the C30 mod to tame the blue stripe harshness, and it really did. I run my presence up now. Also did the reverb mod. Here's a high gain sound clip.

https://youtu.be/5t339KHoOt4

I chose not to have him do the III+ / ++ mod. I wanted the amp to stay very forward and aggressive, as opposed to the + style "liquid lead" sound. Another guy I heard got it done though, and his really does sound great. Can't really go wrong either way.

I'm not trying to divert the thread, but what is the C30 mod? Sounds intriguing.

[EDIT] the forum search didn't turn up anything but google did: this thread discusses it if you're interested http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27879

-Daniel

The blue stripes come with no capacitor at C30. It's one of the reasons the blue stripes are the most aggressive.

The red stripes come with, IIRC a 500 pf cap there. That's from what I understand a main difference between blue & red.

Mike B. likes to mod them with a 1000 pf cap to smooth out the lead channel. He told me if I didn't like it that I could just snip it out and it'll be like it was. He also told me that he recommends leaving it in, and just turn the knobs to find the sound I'm looking for.

The clip I posted a couple posts back was the DRG amp with the 1000 pf cap in C30. If I had it to do over again I might ask him to put a 500 pf there. Or, I still may snip it out some day.

This clip is a different blue stripe DG I had that was all stock. same camera, same basic settings. Both Mesa V30s but 1x12 vs. 4x12. Notice how it is more harsh, and more aggressive. In a way I like it more for how forward it is but when you turn it up it does get a bit more harsh on the ears.

https://youtu.be/kgM6VrHnnK4

I have sent the amp to Mesa Boogie to get it refreshed. I also sent the reverb unit to have it checked out. Will let you know what they find out and its cost.

Finally got my green stripe MK III back from Mesa Boogie. They replaced all of the blue capacitors and some resisters, one grange cap. Talked to Mike B. and decided to have him replace only what was needed rather than a complete replacement.
He also cleaned up the reverb unit and replaced all four power tubes an one V1 tube. Amp now is quiet and sounds really nice.
Still working with the controls to try different combinations for different sounds. This work on the amp cost me $388.00 with return shipping. So, money well spent and Mesa Boogie was really great to work with. This amp cooks.

I was playing my III+ yesterday and it sounded so incredibly rich. I was fiddling a bit with the settings, and I don't think I realized this before, but I have the presence set very high on it, something like 8 or 9 (it's in the back so I can't see it). This is a really big difference from when it was a regular III and I couldn't get the presence above 4 or so. This particular amp (a purple stripe) never seemed to be so crazy bright as the blue stripe I used to have, but it still took a little effort to stop it from being harsh. Not anymore. That's a big difference with the + mod.

GJgo said:
My Mark III refresh last year cost somewhere in the mid 300 range including a new quad of power tubes and one new pre tube, shipped. 100% worth it.

I sent mine to Mike for a refresh + mods about 15 years ago and that was the price range. Being an old amp, I wanted a true expert to give it a full evaluation and told him whatever needs to be done, do it! Absolutely worth it for tone nirvana. 8)

Whoopysnorp said:
I was playing my III+ yesterday and it sounded so incredibly rich. I was fiddling a bit with the settings, and I don't think I realized this before, but I have the presence set very high on it, something like 8 or 9 (it's in the back so I can't see it). This is a really big difference from when it was a regular III and I couldn't get the presence above 4 or so. This particular amp (a purple stripe) never seemed to be so crazy bright as the blue stripe I used to have, but it still took a little effort to stop it from being harsh. Not anymore. That's a big difference with the + mod.

Good God man! :shock: Mine would slice my head off at that setting, and would still give me migranes if much above 6. I keep mine at around 5. If the high end needs further adjustment, I go to the graphic.

The magic number for me is 3, as in Master Volume. Once it's warmed up and crosses the 3 threshold, it enters God Mode on the lead channel. :mrgreen: There is a sudden boost of brightness and boldness, so I adjust my EQ settings for this volume, where I record and play.

Latest posts

Back