The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:59 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I have sent the amp to Mesa Boogie to get it refreshed. I also sent the reverb unit to have it checked out. Will let you know what they find out and its cost.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Finally got my green stripe MK III back from Mesa Boogie. They replaced all of the blue capacitors and some resisters, one grange cap. Talked to Mike B. and decided to have him replace only what was needed rather than a complete replacement.
He also cleaned up the reverb unit and replaced all four power tubes an one V1 tube. Amp now is quiet and sounds really nice.
Still working with the controls to try different combinations for different sounds. This work on the amp cost me $388.00 with return shipping. So, money well spent and Mesa Boogie was really great to work with. This amp cooks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:39 am 
Mark IV

I was playing my III+ yesterday and it sounded so incredibly rich. I was fiddling a bit with the settings, and I don't think I realized this before, but I have the presence set very high on it, something like 8 or 9 (it's in the back so I can't see it). This is a really big difference from when it was a regular III and I couldn't get the presence above 4 or so. This particular amp (a purple stripe) never seemed to be so crazy bright as the blue stripe I used to have, but it still took a little effort to stop it from being harsh. Not anymore. That's a big difference with the + mod.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:02 pm 
Mark III

GJgo wrote:
My Mark III refresh last year cost somewhere in the mid 300 range including a new quad of power tubes and one new pre tube, shipped. 100% worth it.

I sent mine to Mike for a refresh + mods about 15 years ago and that was the price range. Being an old amp, I wanted a true expert to give it a full evaluation and told him whatever needs to be done, do it! Absolutely worth it for tone nirvana. 8)

Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:13 pm 
Mark III

Whoopysnorp wrote:
I was playing my III+ yesterday and it sounded so incredibly rich. I was fiddling a bit with the settings, and I don't think I realized this before, but I have the presence set very high on it, something like 8 or 9 (it's in the back so I can't see it). This is a really big difference from when it was a regular III and I couldn't get the presence above 4 or so. This particular amp (a purple stripe) never seemed to be so crazy bright as the blue stripe I used to have, but it still took a little effort to stop it from being harsh. Not anymore. That's a big difference with the + mod.

Good God man! :shock: Mine would slice my head off at that setting, and would still give me migranes if much above 6. I keep mine at around 5. If the high end needs further adjustment, I go to the graphic.

The magic number for me is 3, as in Master Volume. Once it's warmed up and crosses the 3 threshold, it enters God Mode on the lead channel. :mrgreen: There is a sudden boost of brightness and boldness, so I adjust my EQ settings for this volume, where I record and play.

Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:28 pm 
Mark IV

I dunno, could be my speakers or something? This is through a metal-grill 2x12 cab with EVM12Ls. I do have the treble on the lower side for a Boogie...maybe around 5.5. The EQ is in, with a shallow V. And I'd have to check but I think I might not have the bright switch pulled.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 pm 
Mark IV

I was half right...bright switches are off, but treble is around 7. I guess I'm basically using the presence control to dial in what I would normally get with a bright switch.