Brad Gillis Night Ranger Tone Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I wanted to get the BG NR tone aka Sister Christian etc. would that be best achieve with a mk iic+ simul class or 60/100? please help!

Oh man that is a tough one. I love everything Brad from those days and I honestly am not sure what he is using but I think it was a JCM800 from the glory days. True fact: At disney for grad night Night Ranger played in 83-84. **** I was there 85. Would have loved to see him play. Still one of my all time favorite guys and his tone is one of the best!

I know he used boogies for Sister Christian. Don't know if he was using simul class or not. What's more important than the power amp configuration is the volume he was playing at to get that tone. I read he had his boogie cranked to 8 and with the speakers in a different room he was still getting all the feedback he needed :shock: That is a truly glorious guitar tone 8)

Randy Rhoades' tone is what a Mark IIB is all about. When I hear him, that's the sound I hear. I realize he used a different amp but the tone is Mark IIB all day long. When Brad filled in with Ozzy, he used Mark IIB amps. Mark IIC+ is quite capable of getting almost any tone if you tweak it and it has the GEQ. Your guitar is a major influence in tone and Brad will sound like Brad no matter what the set-up.

hi folks, thanks for the reply, I appreciate all the info.
here is an article where brad talks about using a boogie iic
http://www.guitarplayer.com/artist-lessons/1026/whammy-bar-pyrotechnics/14532
“The ‘Sister Christian’ solo was me playing in the control room with long cord out to my Boogie Mark IIC, which was cranked up in the live room and playing back through big, huge monitors in the control room, super loudly. I had a feedback loop going and was able to carry those notes.”
I would think it was a C+ based on the timing of when the NR album was recorded/released. thoughts?

I've always heard that he played a IIC (not C+). Not sure if it is true or not, but his tone does sound similar to my C, which, in my opinion has awesome lead tone (great sustain on the edge of feedback and always cuts though the mix).

Pulled the trigger and bought a great condition Mark IIC+ DRG. It is with my amp tech now to have a checkup. Also ordering a head shell for it.

Wow! That is one of the cleanest IIC+ amps I have seen. Congrats!

Break out the Furman PQ3 for Night Ranger tone, almost like Stryper, but boosting a different frequency.

Back