mk1 reissue speaker transplant

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tremoverb nick

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I bought a lovey mk1 reissue a few months back and it came with the celestion black shadow.
Having read so much about the evm 12l black shadow I had to try one.
So I won a evm on ebay today but could do with some advice on how I dismantle the mk1 to fit it.
Its a hardwood/wicker model and I'm keen not to damage the wicker etc.
Is there a sort of best practice procedure for changing speaker?

Many thanks in advance
Nick

Nick,
Just remove the 4 screws on the front and the wicker pannel can then be easily removed.
You'll then see the screws that hold the speaker in place(the speaker is front mounted)
Just remove the screws that hold the speaker in place.Keep one hand on the speaker to support it.
Then put the EV speaker in screw in place and then you can put the wicker pannel back on once the speaker is fitted.

...also note the Mark I Re-Issues usually have the speaker wire soldered to the speaker terminals whereas the EVM12L has spring clip lugs. Before you hoist the old Celestion out make sure the speaker is unplugged from the amp and the speaker cable is not bundled with the reverb cables. It will be a great change in tone and output once you fire it up with the new Electro-Voice. Have fun!

Job done.
It's a tight fit with the reverb tank but it fits.
I used four chunky allen bolts to secure it and had to drill four new holes (the others didn't line up).
Gave the innards a good clean while I was in there.

This was at 11pm last night...
so when I powered up and test...my mrs went crazy. I'll give it a good blast tonight.

It's a heavy amp with the c90 - now its gravity defying.
It's a hell of a weight.

Thanks for your advice...

Is the Mark 1 combo smaller than the Mark III? I also have a EVM 12L in my combo and it looks like there is quite a bit of room, but that sucker is HEAVY. The EVM works beautifully with a Mark.

I guess it must be smaller. It was tight. I'll try to attach some pics later.
One thing worthy of note is the build quality...superb.
The biggest obstacle is the reverb tank against the magnet...but as mentioned ...it fit.

I'm really looking forward to cranking it tonight!

I had half a mind to fit my soldano 4x12 with all ev's. But the weight would be insane.

Nick do you have any pictures of the inside of the Mk 1 reissue at all?
I've not been able to find any pics of the guts of the reissue just the original.
I'm just curious to see how the PCB and layout differs fom the original?

Back