NAD - Mark IIB Coliseum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agileguy_101

Reaction score
Hey all. First time poster, long time Boogie enthusiast.

Early last year, I picked up a Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo. I had wanted one ever since they came out, but I didn't have that kind of money at the time. But since these days, I can afford a nice thing here and there, I decided to pick one up.

I ended up posting it for sale about 6 months later. I loved the drive channel, but the clean channel just didn't have enough headroom for me. Plus, that amp was RIDICULOUSLY heavy... at least I thought so at the time.

So I posted it for sale on Craigslist. I wasn't even looking for another amp - I just wanted some cash at the time. But after a little bit, someone made me an offer that I just had to check out... a Mark IIB Coliseum. I'd only heard of these before - I half thought they were just a myth.

It turns out that they're far from mythical. They're all too real, and all to goddamn loud. But the minute I plugged into one, I knew I had to have it. Despite only being able to turn it up to about .5 on the master, it sounded unlike any other amp I'd played.

Ever since then, it's been my favorite amp. I even found a matching halfback 4x12 to go with it:

13254295_10208347288512299_2196488295179906504_n.jpg

Now I just need to find a pair of EVM12Ls for the bottom, as even with the two C90s in the top, this amp is so loud that it causes the 50W Vintage Black Shadows in the bottom to break up too much for my tastes.

The reason I'm calling this a NAD is because I just got it back from Mesa HQ for service. I figured since it's more than 30 years old, it deserved a tune up. I had them go through and replace all the old caps, as well as swapping out the power tubes - just because. I also had them mod it so that the clean channel has more headroom - a fantastic little mod, as I can now get both a really clean and really distorted tone out of it, or a really clean and mildly distorted tone, as well as anything in between. Finally, I had them add a reverb tank. My head had all the reverb circuitry as well as a cutout in the shell for reverb, but it was just missing the tank. Now it's not as good as the reverb from my 70's Fender tank, but nothing is that good. This is still quite nice though. The only downside is that it made the heaviest head I've ever used even heavier.

While I was up in Petaluma, I took what I thought was a pretty cool picture.

14203237_10209149533287917_2187937940877647887_n.jpg

That's awesome. I'm about to send my Mark III purple stripe in for service to fix my botched attempt at replacing the LDRs. Wish I could just bring it there personally.

Those cabs are great too. I just picked up the 2x12 version a few weeks ago. It's missing the logo, but it does have the EVs, which sound wonderful.

Congratulation!

There's not many built if I recall. Maybe under 300 made. That has miles of headroom. Yours is a very good condition. You still have all your knobs on you Graphic EQ. I see many Mark Is and Mark IIs where the slider(s) are knock off.

There's no amp like it. It like a Fender with overdrive. 8)

Whoopysnorp said:
That's awesome. I'm about to send my Mark III purple stripe in for service to fix my botched attempt at replacing the LDRs. Wish I could just bring it there personally.

Those cabs are great too. I just picked up the 2x12 version a few weeks ago. It's missing the logo, but it does have the EVs, which sound wonderful.

Yes, I'm quite fortunate to live only about an hour away from Petaluma. Even more fortunate that it's so close to Santa Rosa so I can go pick up a few growlers of Russian River brews.

And yes, the cabs are awesome. I had one of those 2x12s with a C90/EV mix and it was fantastic.

Hm, I kinda like that Boogie badge in the top left corner. Mine is missing the logo and I've been trying to figure out what to do about it.

Whoopysnorp said:
Hm, I kinda like that Boogie badge in the top left corner. Mine is missing the logo and I've been trying to figure out what to do about it.

I've never seen another one with the small logo. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by the owner instead of from the factory. Either way, I like it and I'll probably do it to my cab.

Cool pic! and cheers to Russian River! Loved that place while I lived in Napa.

Does your Coliseum have a Limit knob on the back? If so, it's a built in attenuator and it works wonders for taming the volume. Not sure if all the coliseums have it

my coliseum 2B has the same logo in the same place so I'm pretty sure that is stock.
Agileguy_101 said:
Whoopysnorp said:

I've never seen another one with the small logo. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by the owner instead of from the factory. Either way, I like it and I'll probably do it to my cab.

timv said:
my coliseum 2B has the same logo in the same place so I'm pretty sure that is stock.
Agileguy_101 said:
Whoopysnorp said:

I was referring to the badge on the 2x12 pictured above.

Back