What Mesa Boogie is this? (Chris Hayes of Huey Lewis)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jculb

Reaction score
This is from a 1997 clip of Huey Lewis with Chris Hayes on guitar. At first I thought it was a Mark III, but the faceplate appears to be gray, and it looks like there is a lot of space between the top of the knobs/eq and the top edge of the amp. You can get a glimpse of the amp throughout the video, but the best I could see of it was ~4:23 behind Huey. If you slow it down to .25, you can get a better glimpse of it. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/sj81HW92_Cw?t=4m17s

I have the same vertical 2x12 cab.

The amp looks like a rack unit - possibly some silver faced 1 or 2u preamp module/s above a Mesa poweramp.

What speakers are in your vertical 2x12 cab? Thanks.

Promethean said:

The amp looks like a rack unit - possibly some silver faced 1 or 2u preamp module/s above a Mesa poweramp.

jculb said:
What speakers are in your vertical 2x12 cab? Thanks.

Promethean said:

I had one of those cabs a while back - it had a C90 in the top and an EVM12L in the bottom.

Promethean said:

What i see there is Mark II or III and on top of it some kinda rack tuner/multi effect.

Stop the video at 4:23 and move frame by frame and you'll see it.

It's too blurry to see which model exactly - probably a MkIII - but it's in the M/B rack chassis kit. Very popular in the 90s (mine has gone between the combo, head, and rack formats so many times I've lost count). The cabs are iconic and I still gig them with a variety of speakers.

Back