Any idea what wood this is? 1981 Mark IIB Hardwood Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s-fresh

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. It's a 1981 Mark IIB Combo. Mesa support thinks it is Imbuya but I haven't seen any other Imbuya cab that looks like this.

The initials "J.W." are written all over the inside but I don't see any wood name. I have seen a few combos from this era listed as Walnut but this doesn't scream walnut to me? Maybe it looks strange because it is flat sawn? Any ideas?

29316075001_e0a605b10a_z.jpg

It doesn't scream walnut to me either. I'm no dendrologist, but my first instinct was African blackwood. I did a Google search on it and it's the closest thing I could find. Just my 2 cents. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn't even think of African Blackwood.

I know the OP stated they didn't think it was walnut either. But, that was the only guess I had.

Thanks guys. I didn't think of African Blackwood either, but generally I'd think of that as more of tight/closed grain kind of wood like ebony. Maybe it is just a funky piece of walnut. I work with a bunch of claro but this could be another species I am not as familiar with.

I believe the 80' catalog scans say hardwoods used were oak, mahogany, walnut or maple. If that is stained, which I believe it is, the only hardwoods they tinted or stained back then were maple. But...that grain clearly does not scream maple? I am not a wood whisperer... just my humble .02

Thanks, lovetoboogie! That's just the kind of information I was hoping someone might have. I know it isn't oak (all wrong), and I know it isn't maple (this grain is too open). Also it doesn't look dyed in person. Very unlikely this is any kind of mahogany. That makes walnut the only option left that makes any sense. I guess it is just a funky flat sawn piece.

It looks exactly like mine, and my cabinet is Koa. They used it fairly extensively back then.

What year is yours, dude? Here's a koa pic that looks pretty similar:
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/product/uni2931.html

I never even considered koa. Pretty cool!

29332026602_cda1032e14_c.jpg

s-fresh said:
I never even considered koa. Pretty cool!

Awesome! I just remember the Koa Mark I's being so much lighter in tint. I love the process of elimination here...at least we know it's not elm! ;)

@s-fresh:

Mine was one of the first Mk IIBs, with a serial number in the high 5300s. The date on the chassis, if I recall correctly, was May, 1980. (Definitely from 1980.)

I'll try to post a pic later today. But it really, really looks like yours -- except mine's packing an EVM.

I'm a woodworker and I'm stumped. :?:

For sure its a figured -something

figured walnut
gorgeous-curly-figured-black-walnut-furniture-craftwood-lumber-slab-1747-92cb42667c68880cd9e1304f680828b8.jpg

figured koa
koadetails_1024x1024.jpg

It could be African Blackwood but that's looks more like rosewood and ebony family. Not sure though.

... but that's one of the most beautiful hardwood Boogie cabinet I've seen!

Hi there,

Here's some pics of my 1980 Mk IIB with what was said to be Koa. These shots were taken about six years ago, and the wood has continued to darken.

Thanks for trying, Dude2Dude! It's kind if a hassle, but you have to upload the images somewhere else then reference the web URL in the

Back