NAD - IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koadogg

Reaction score
Picked up this beautiful and Clean IIC+ (IIC Upgrade) DRG a few weeks back and am really enjoying it. Combo cabinet is imbuya and looks awesome. I have a question though. It seems to be bassy to me. Like I can't turn down the bass enough. I am playing it through a Mesa 2x12 with V30's. I think part of the problem it the cabinet is coupling with the floor but I also notice that the bass, especially if I play an E5 chord, is a little flubby. It does tighten up as I play power chords moving up the neck. Does this mean it is time for a cap job? I called mess and it was upgraded to a "+" in 2004 but they have no record of a cap job being done. I was thinking of sending it in for one but wasn't sure it would help. I may also have them do the Channel 1 volume mod. Any other mods that I should/could consider?

Thanks,
Scott

Congrats!

Have you tried it through the speaker in the combo? (btw which speaker is in the combo?)

I never liked V30's with a C+. I don't remember why as it's been awhile but they may be the cause of the bassy-ness your getting.

What Channel 1 volume mod are you talking about, Is it the brightness reduction mod?

The speaker is an EVM Black Shadow. I have run it through the combo speaker but to me it sounds a little boxy sounding. I also ran it through a 4x12 loaded with a mix of Scumback 12M25's and 12H30's and it sounds bassy there as well.

The volume 1 mod that i was referring to was an additional Volume control for channel one so that you can control the volume better when you switch from channel one to lead.

Koadogg said:
Picked up this beautiful and Clean IIC+ (IIC Upgrade) DRG a few weeks back and am really enjoying it. Combo cabinet is imbuya and looks awesome. I have a question though. It seems to be bassy to me. Like I can't turn down the bass enough. I am playing it through a Mesa 2x12 with V30's. I think part of the problem it the cabinet is coupling with the floor but I also notice that the bass, especially if I play an E5 chord, is a little flubby. It does tighten up as I play power chords moving up the neck. Does this mean it is time for a cap job? I called mess and it was upgraded to a "+" in 2004 but they have no record of a cap job being done. I was thinking of sending it in for one but wasn't sure it would help. I may also have them do the Channel 1 volume mod. Any other mods that I should/could consider?

Thanks,
Scott

Oh, sweet baby Jesus that is pretty.

What Volume mod? what brand of tubes you have in the Power and preamp ? some Power tubes might add bass to your sound

Winged C's: 6L6's in the inner and EL34's in the outer. For pre's I have an RFT in V1 and V4. I believe V2 and V3 are Mesa. Switching to the Winged C's helped a lot but it is still bassey. If I can get the volume up and get the tubes cooking a little that seems to help.

Latest posts

Back