I need help Mk IV or V:25 OOOORRR Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieHog

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have the chance to get either a Mark IV Or a V:25. I have never heard a V:25 in person yet so I have no idea which one to get.
Can y'all help me out with some advice? Or maybe I should get the DC-3. I don't know!!!
Thoughts?

I've a V:25 since 5 months, simply love it.

if you need to stay (relatively) quiet with the volumes it can be the deal. the clean are fantastic, and the overdrive channel is amazing I usually work between the IIC+ mode and the Mark IV mode, the tone is solid reeeeally big. tbh the last mode (extreme) it's not my favoutite a little bit too much. i play mosly in 25W config, with 2 2x12 cabinet mounting WGS speakers.
atm I play mostly metal, but it's a truly versatile amp.

the Mark IV it's a great piece of equipment and of history of course, sadly I've never play trought it so I cannot help on this side

A.

TheHypnotoad said:
I've a V:25 since 5 months, simply love it.

if you need to stay (relatively) quiet with the volumes it can be the deal. the clean are fantastic, and the overdrive channel is amazing I usually work between the IIC+ mode and the Mark IV mode, the tone is solid reeeeally big. tbh the last mode (extreme) it's not my favoutite a little bit too much. i play mosly in 25W config, with 2 2x12 cabinet mounting WGS speakers.
atm I play mostly metal, but it's a truly versatile amp.

the Mark IV it's a great piece of equipment and of history of course, sadly I've never play trought it so I cannot help on this side

A.
And I'm the other side of the picture. I've never played through a V:25, but I have played quite a bit though a IV.

Some of the same points Hypnotoad makes are still salient: The Mark IV has an excellent master volume, the clean channel is very nice. Channel 2 gets ragged on by some, but if you think of it more as an extension of channel 1 ("the clean channel extended"), you find its place in the amp. I use it quite a bit for classic rock. Channel 3 has a superb drive. And, with separate gain and drive controls, you can tweak a lot of subtleties in the sound. A lot use if for metal. I am not into metal, but I find plenty of uses for it.

Well, we have heard from owners of each.

I would be curious too to hear from someone who had both.

The Mark V25 is way way way easier to dial in a great tone right away. It is almost impossible to get any unlikeable sound out of it. All of the modes are outstanding and it has more than enough power for all but the loudest drummers and the way stage volume has been for the last ten-fifteen years, it is a perfect amount of power. The Mark IV on the other hand can leave you scratching your head and will make you wonder how anyone can use the amp? It is much more flexible than a V25 and able to cut through a mix better with it's midrange prominence. It can be a beast to move around in combo form, 60 + pounds. For me and my style the IV would be better but for I'd say the mini is best for non-tweakers and players that hate messing around with their tone constantly and want an amp that doesn't change that much in tone from practice to stage. I can pretty much count on the IV to sound much different from stage to practice.

Man, great responses y'all!
Sorry for the typos, I posted that thread at close to midnight here after my birthday celebration. :p

I would also like to hear from someone who has or has had both and get your opinion as well.

I was able to pick up a Mark V for $1,100 and could not be happier! It was a weird deal that I didn't see coming and, could not have done if the guy had not been gracious and dropped the price. What an outstanding amp! There is just not a bad tone in this amp!

eheh,

great deal m8, in my opinion if you like to mess around with a lot of settings and a lot of different sounds the big V is the deal; if you need to keep it simple the V:25 work just fine, 'cause the volume of this little one is astonishing :)

A.

BoogieHog said:
I was able to pick up a Mark V for $1,100 and could not be happier! It was a weird deal that I didn't see coming and, could not have done if the guy had not been gracious and dropped the price. What an outstanding amp! There is just not a bad tone in this amp!

Excellent deal! That's close to what I paid for my Mark IV (but, a number of years ago).

Thanks fellas! I love the V. One of the young men a t my church got a V:25 and that thing is a tone MONSTER! Great amp!

I also have obtained a Red Stripe Mk iii which is my all time favorite amp!! This thing smokes!!

Back