Studio .22 Mod? Balancing Volume Between Channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suntower

Reaction score
This may be a pipe dream, but has anyone done a 'mod' that allows one to match the apparent volume of the Lead and the Rhythm channel? I like pretty much everything about the amp except for the fact that when ya switch on the Lead, it's so much louder.

TIA,

---JC

there is a standard, well-known mod for the volume difference between LEAD and RYTHM MODES.
the studio .22 is a ONE CHANNEL amp. Activating lead mode simply switches in the second half of a 12AX7 tube -these are dual triode tubes.
The Studio series has no second channel.
As far as the volume difference is concerned, I have an old studio .22 that I use at home - I use either mode and adjust volume as necessary, but since i am not taking the amp on stage I don't need to switch back and forth.
if you were running this 22w amp with a group you would have it at a loud enough volume that the extra boost in lead mode might be just right anyway.

Can't you use the Master and Lead Master controls to balance volume?

Set your clean volume, with volume, set your lead tone and volume match with lead master, then use the global master for overall amp volume?

What a great little Boogie the Studio 22 is.

To me one doesn't need a balance in loudness more so a balance in preamp gain. I do believe there is a Mod but we need to dig deeper to find it. I will scower the net and report back.

There just isn't a Boogie that isn't good or that cannot be coaxed a good sound from. 8)

It really is. It took me a loooong time to appreciate it since I never used to take it out on gigs.

Anyhoo... if you can find something, I'd be THRILLED. I would love to use nothing but the .22 with a mic to the house sound.

---JC

Nomad said:
What a great little Boogie the Studio 22 is.

To me one doesn't need a balance in loudness more so a balance in preamp gain. I do believe there is a Mod but we need to dig deeper to find it. I will scower the net and report back.

There just isn't a Boogie that isn't good or that cannot be coaxed a good sound from. 8)

You could probably implement the same or a very similar "Volume 1.1" mod as on a Mark IIC+ where you can gain a separate pot for channel 1 volume vs volume 1 on the lead channel. That might make it easier to balance.

What exactly is the Volume 1.1 mod?

TIA,

---JC

IronSean said:
You could probably implement the same or a very similar "Volume 1.1" mod as on a Mark IIC+ where you can gain a separate pot for channel 1 volume vs volume 1 on the lead channel. That might make it easier to balance.

As I just said, you add a second volume pot which runs your clean channel separate from the Volume pot that affects the Lead channel. I'd have to dig around and find schematics to figure out of it would be the same, but it's a known mod on the IIC+ if you search "Volume 1.1 Mod" or "Pettrucci mod".

image.jpg

For example here, the added a pot where the footswitch jack used to be which would act as "Volume" when in clean. Then the former "volume" pot only runs when in lead mode.

Off the top of my head, you'd maybe need to use a couple relays/LDRs to swap between them that you splice into the normal lead circuit switching?

Boy does that look photoshopped. :D

But thanks. Sincerely. I dunno if it's for me--just on aesthetic grounds, but it's definitely worth investigating.

(I dunno why, but the look bothers me... which shouldn't matter, I know.)

Cheers!

---JC

IronSean said:
As I just said, you add a second volume pot which runs your clean channel separate from the Volume pot that affects the Lead channel. I'd have to dig around and find schematics to figure out of it would be the same, but it's a known mod on the IIC+ if you search "Volume 1.1 Mod" or "Pettrucci mod".

image.jpg

For example here, the added a pot where the footswitch jack used to be which would act as "Volume" when in clean. Then the former "volume" pot only runs when in lead mode.

Off the top of my head, you'd maybe need to use a couple relays/LDRs to swap between them that you splice into the normal lead circuit switching?

I'm not familiar with the 1.1 but I think it would be a totally different Mod. The issue with the 22+ is the insane amount of gain on the lead channel that is non adjustable. I would like to get my 22+ to have two clean channels both in gain and EQ and then use a Overdrive Pedal to take either over the top.

IronSean said:

image.jpg

I did a search but found nothing related to any of this mods

mxr2000 said:
IronSean said:

I couldn't find anything either. However, it does -not- look like anything 'quick'... ie. I would imagine there would be a -lot- more to it than just adding a pot (at least to make it sound decent.)

What's frustrating is that I found an old 'Studio 22 PLUS' manual on line and it has -exactly- what I want. Apparently the 'Plus' is that extra volume.

Sadly, I must only have the 'plain jane' version. :D

suntower said:
mxr2000 said:
IronSean said:

I couldn't find anything either. However, it does -not- look like anything 'quick'... ie. I would imagine there would be a -lot- more to it than just adding a pot (at least to make it sound decent.)

What's frustrating is that I found an old 'Studio 22 PLUS' manual on line and it has -exactly- what I want. Apparently the 'Plus' is that extra volume.

Sadly, I must only have the 'plain jane' version. :D

You can send your amp to Mesa and they will mod it to have a Lead Drive and Lead Master control. My Studio 22+ is at Mesa right now getting the Lead Drive mod.

Seriously? If it's not impolite to ask: How much does this cost?

TIA,

---JC

Nomad said:
You can send your amp to Mesa and they will mod it to have a Lead Drive and Lead Master control. My Studio 22+ is at Mesa right now getting the Lead Drive mod.

suntower said:
Seriously? If it's not impolite to ask: How much does this cost?

TIA,

---JC

Nomad said:

I don't know myself, but I'm sure if you called Mesa they could tell you.

Ok I'm lost. It was suggested that the Lead Master control could solve the problem, that and the volume knob on the guitar should give you great balance. What am I missing?

With the Studio 22 you nead lead drive mod and lead master mod I believe. With the Studio 22+ you need the lead drive mod.

I've owned three of the various Studio 22s. I still have one for gigs where I need to behave myself volume wise. Just stick any great OD pedal in front of the clean channel. Experiment with bringing up the pre-volume with the pedal of choice. It is a great low volume amp with plenty of punch. The Lead channel will drive you into a mental health facility, should you pursue further.

1. What kind of OD pedal? Never had any calm ones... only outrageous things like Proco Rat.

2. What about just straight Volume Boost? Does it crunch nicely if you hit it with more gain?

Frankly, the thing is pretty much -perfect- as is.... if only the volume between both channels would match.

TIA,

---JC

revgsmall said:
I've owned three of the various Studio 22s. I still have one for gigs where I need to behave myself volume wise. Just stick any great OD pedal in front of the clean channel. Experiment with bringing up the pre-volume with the pedal of choice. It is a great low volume amp with plenty of punch. The Lead channel will drive you into a mental health facility, should you pursue further.

I've been hitting my 22+ with an OCD V3 with really good results. That being said my 22+ is due to arrive back from Mesa with the lead drive mod. I will report back on how I like it.

Also just got my 22+ combo cab back from Mojotone yesterday. I had it recovered with their Carolina Blue tolex and and small cane grill cloth. It looks amazing, will post a pic when I get a chance.

Back