NAD: Mark iic+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskman

Reaction score
Picked this one up yesterday. DRX, Hardwood/Wicker

Serial number is 10918.

IMG_7003_zpsggj9x3dm.jpg

Has the + above the power cord and an initial from PC on 8/84 on the base of the amp.

I'm guessing this is an early IIC that was upgraded in '84

Has the RP11A preamp board, pull deep and passes loop test.

Sounds incredible, had to share.

Owned a Mark IV for 10 years but I think I'll sell it now that I have this!

Question:
What are the two 1/4" jacks on the underside of the amp used for, the ones either side of the reverb i/o?

Here's some pics and gut shots:

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/deskman/library/m2

I've got a modded GE-7 that I've been trying out (sniper mod for less noise, higher quality opamps etc.)

So far I'm actually completely fine without any graphic eq though.
What I used to use it for was to tame high or low end in general on a tone that was pulled (mostly in the studio so was constantly tweaking Mark IV for different tones for different parts)
However I find I can do this by either having pull deep in or out to control low end, and work with the presence to control high end. Presence seems to add alot more gain though when it's up!
The amp also reacts beautifully to the tone control on the guitar!

Did a bit of a shootout with some EL-34's and 6L6's in the outer sockets. The thing is I think the 6L6's sound better for the rhythm channel, but the EL-34's are considerably tighter and clearer on the lead channel, but a little hard on the rhythm channel. 6L6 seems to be a little less defined on the lead channel though.

Is it possible to only have tubes in the outer sockets when you're in class a mode?
This was I could just have the EL-34's in when on the lead channel, then swap in the 6L6's for cleans, and leave the two centre sockets empty.

Congrats! Yours also has the Export OT (obviously since you are in AU but it's desirable even in the US).

Question:
What are the two 1/4" jacks on the underside of the amp used for, the ones either side of the reverb i/o?

From the IIC Manual:

"Also located beneath the chassis is a stereo socket for the optional Dual Footswitch. This will be wired to
activate, when applicable, the Graphic EQ and Reverb. When an amplifier is built with only Reverb or
Graphic, a mono ¼” guitar jack is mounted for use with our Single Footswitch and Cable Set."

"A Pre Amp Out-Pwr Amp In jack is located on the bottom of the chassis and
provides access to the junction of the preamp and the output power amp. With it, another Boogie can be
linked up (Slave Out of the first amp to Pwr Amp In of the second), or it can allow you to use the Boogie
as a preamp only."

Ah, yes I probably should have bothered to read the manual!

I do have a boogie rev switch already that I used with the IV so I'll keep it for the ii

It's great how the channel switch pulls power from the amp to light the LED. I ended up modding by rev footswitch with a switch with more poles and an LED so that you know when the reverb is on/off.

Thinking maybe I keep both the Marks and go stereo, iic+ as the preamp, strymon big sky in the loop, that thing sounds incredible in stereo.

Ha or yes I just plug the Juno into both of them in stereo, that would actually be amazing I'm sure.
I had that Juno there as I picked it up the same day I got the iic+. Was a great day of getting 30-40 year old gear!

Thanks guys,

Any thoughts on that low serial number?
Am I right in believing that Mkiib's had a different serial number format?
This might be one of the earliest iic's that went into production?

I'm thinking I'll definitely sell the IV now, will be sad but can't justify keeping both of them!

The c+ gives me that liquid saxophone like lead tone that originally drew me to Mark series amps with the added bonus of the cleans being on par and probably better than a Fender deluxe etc.

deskman said:
Any thoughts on that low serial number?
Am I right in believing that Mkiib's had a different serial number format?

The Serial number format is normal.

It's definitely one of the lowest IIC's I've seen (if not the lowest)..
Fwiw it's likely during the end of IIB production and beginning of IIC production a pre-numbered chassis was used for your IIC

Below are the general ranges for serial numbers of IIB and IIC (not including C+'s).
But we all know there are more than a few anomalies (like yours) which fall outside these ranges.

Mark IIB 1X12: 5575-11000 = 5426 Mark IIB
August 1980 to May 1983

Mark IIC 1X12: 11001-12499 = 1499 Mark IIC
Mark IIC May 1983 to January 1984

ah right, that would make sense then, thanks for the insight!

Sort of looks like there are two date markings on the bottom of this, one in 83 and one in 84

I've just completely retubed it with Mesa branded 12ax7's and a 6L6/EL34 combo in the power amp and it is virtually silent in terms of noise floor and sounds even better.

Mark IV has been sold, sad to see it go but it was bought by a colleague of mine so will live at the studio anyway!

UPDATE:

Was looking into the getting this amp overhauled and was put in contact with a tech here in Australia (on advice from the MESA importer) who is a certified MESA tech and has been working on the amps for 30-40 years.

There was nothing wrong with the amp, I just wanted to do a pre-emptive once over and overhaul.

I sent him some photos and he recommended a recap of the electrolytics and some other basic cleaning and servicing.

He was able to source MESA branded caps for the job which was great.

He also performed the following mods:

- Reverb grounding improvement (ground wire connected from reverb pot to internal shielding foil on inside of cabinet
- Fan chassis grounding (ran a ground wire from the fan chassis to the screws on the rear heatsink
- Repurposed the ground switch to be an on/off switch for the fan
- Replaced various resistors

His name is Mark Grgic and works at Megtronics in Castle Hill. I would imagine some on the board may know him.

The amp was amazing before, but now it's beyond belief. So tight, so clear, the lead channel sounds more defined and sings like crazy.
Rhythm / clean sounds are deep and the whole amp seems to have such a massive amount of punch and headroom (It did before, but now it seems even moreso)

So happy with how it turned out, Mark only had it for a week too. Absolute legend, highly recommended.

Couple of after pics here:

Nice score!.

I'll have to keep that place in mind if I want to send mine in for a service/check up. Sounds like they know their stuff.

Philhouse said:
Nice score!.

I'll have to keep that place in mind if I want to send mine in for a service/check up. Sounds like they know their stuff.

Absolutely, Mark is the best.

I was put onto him by Ivan Gambale I believe (From Pro Audio, the Mesa reps here in in Aus)

They are both in regular contact with Randall and Mike and have been working on/with Mesa gear since the 80's

Apparently a lot of the information and details of things to do with these vintage Mark amps are sort of inside Mike's head.
Hopefully they have some top secret vault where all of this genius is stored so it can be passed down!

I've always wondered who to trust my amps to for a going over here in Aus. I'm up in Newy, so I might have to make a trip to Megtronics.

Are you able to PM me a rough price of what the service cost?

Cheers,

Phil.

Latest posts

Back