Mesa Boogie Low Watt Amps - Any Recommendations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon K

Reaction score
I'm a long time Boogie user - got my Studio Preamp about 15 years ago and it's still my favourite amp I've played through. The problem is that it's a rack pre and I'm looking for a combo amp. I currently have a DC-3 combo, which I've had for about a year but I just haven't really gotten along well with it. I can use the clean channel and get decent sounds, but it doesn't really turn me on like the studio pre, and I dislike the Black Shadow speaker, so I run it through a 1x12 that has a V30.

The most obvious choice would seem to be to try and find a used Studio 22+ knocking around somewhere, but the problem with that is that they seem to be pretty scarce these days. So I'm looking for a (relatively) low-wattage combo (30watts or less) preferably dual channel, and reasonable range of boogie tones. The DC3 is super loud compared to what I use it for. I've never really had cause to turn the master up past 3 or 4.

I've tried the Subway Rocket, and while it's nice it doesn't really compare to the bigger amps. Not had a chance to try an F30. How do they stack up? Is the 5:25 that good that it would be worth the price of getting one? What else is there in the discontinued range that would make a good all-round combo? Lastly, I'm aware that they've now brought out the Mark V in 35 watt format but it's way out of my budget. I'm realistically looking at an amp for under a grand, which pretty much limits me to secondhand, older gear.

I bet you could pick up a Mark simulclass combo for well within your price range...

A used Mark may well be within your price range.

And, you may want to consider a used Express (either 5:50 or 5:25). Both are decent amps. The 5:25 would definitely keep you within your 30 watt goal. But, the 5:50 can do that (in 5 watt mode) and yet have the 50 watt mode available should you ever need it.

I had a 5:50 (non-plus version) for a while. Very good tones out of amp. I played through it at a Christmas service at church and really liked what it did. Very smooth amp. Very good at low volumes.

The only problem was it had a lot of overlap with other amps I had at the time.

Another +1 to the Simulclass combo suggestion. I run my Mark III (blue) mostly in Class A mode (15 watts) and I love it!

I have two mesa express 5:50 (and the + version) Highly recommend them on class A 5w TRIODE mode. Awesome sound

I also play a maverick through 2 12" Tone Tubbies. The maverick is one of the first rectifier amps with a tube rectifier and also an extra master... sort of a forerunner of the lonestars, in my opinion. also a super amp.

I also play an old Studio .22 which I upgraded with mercury trafos - don't know if that was necessary or not, just an experiment. I still have the original trafos.
At home that is the amp I am using most, even with the feared volume difference between rythm and lead modes (Not CHANNELS, the Studios are 1 channel amps)

Low watt boogies combined with low-watt tone tubbies is an awesome combination and is just fine for any gig short of stadium size.
IMHO opinion 100w amps are totally outmoded, I would never buy anything more powerful than a 50w amp.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.. I am still looking for a simulclass mark - a IIC+ would be nice but a III would be fine - that I can play in 15w mode - 2 6L6 running in Class A triode is my ultimate objective.

I got used to the class A triode mode with my Express series amps, and there is nothing richer in my opinion.

the harmonics take a little getting used to - my guitars are more picky with the tuning in triode mode, IMO, but once everything is humming the harmonics are gorgeous.

Back