Mark IIC++ DG V1-V4? What's what?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what each pre-amp tube is for? I have been swapping tubes in and out not really caring what each one does, only caring about how it sounds. I pull one, listen to it, put the other back to see if it was better and then decide which to keep. Sometimes it's dramatic and sometimes not. I assume V1 & V3 have a lot to do with the lead channel, but I've gotten curious lately as to what slot does what. I've been dying to call Mike at Mesa for years just to talk to him, kinda like talking to the Hendrix of amp builders, in my opinion anyway, and have him give me a little bit of knowledge about my amp. The amp is a C++ with no reverb so where V4 is, there's nothing, kind of like V1-V3, V5 all 12ax7 tubes.

Take a look at this http://mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/Mark%20II-C%20Manual%20-%20Maintenance%20&%20Repair.pdf
I assume V4A would be transferred to V3, but don't quote me here, as I'm not sure. Apart from this, I don't know if the ++ mod affected some of the tube functions, and I'm willing to bet Mike B and BoogieBabies are among the few people that would know.
Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. This amp was owned by other members here so I was hoping one of them would know. It might be time to "call Mike" which I've always wanted to do anyway.

Ohh, well, waiting a little longer won't hurt I guess. The only guy I know of that had that amp and is in the forum (apart from yourself of course) is Kippie...
Perhaps he'll chime in. Regardless, please keep us updated!!
Cheers!

kippiejr did own it when it went to Mike. I've been changing tubes today assuming things. I'm looking to make the amp sound crispier with a sharper attack. (I'm jonesing for my JP2C!)

I talked to Mike yesterday and he told me that the V1-4 were basically the same as a regular C+ without the reverb section. I told him about my tube rolling and how the chinese tubes made me jump when I put them in. The way I test tubes is I put a new tube in V1 for reference and I get the amp loud enough with enough gain to start to feedback, then I have an idea of where to start. Pre-amp tubes don't get that hot and they all go in only a certain way so it is not a hassle for me to experiment. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a plain-old bad attitude. Buy a solid-state amp if you're that lazy!

That's great to know man! Glad you're enjoying that monster of an amp and you're having a good time rolling some tubes. I was on the edge of pulling the trigger on that amp more or less 2/3 times. Still, I don't really regret not getting it. I guess that's because I've got most of my life ahead of me and sooner or later another one will pop up.
Cheers!

Thanks for that. This amp is really me in that I am an ultimate seeker of better tone daily and I'm constantly looking to improve my technique and tone any way possible, sometimes with blinders on, after all, we hear with our ears. The ++ is not that different than a +, I like it more because it has a little more, but if offered, I'd take a third +. That's who I am and what I like. "I'd trade it all for just a little more!" I'm glad I finally got to speaker with Mike, I've always wanted to just speak with him to hear his voice and tell him how MESA changed my life. I don't think there is anyone on the planet I wanted to speak with more, I have so much respect for him and his quest for the grailtone. Ken Fisher (train wreck) & H Alexander Dumble have absolutely nothing on that man as far as what they've done to further grail tone. And no, I haven't owned a TW or Dumble but hey, c'mon now seriously, how much kool-aid do you drink before plopping down $$$,$$$.$$ on a bunch of resistors, transformers, knobs and caps.

Haha, so true man! Couldn't have said it better myself. I hear you on that constant improvement quest, whether it be technique or tone, it's always good to learn/improve on something new every day.

I knew you'd like it!!!! :mrgreen: V1-V3 they all act with each other,,,cascading gain except the 2nd half of of V3.. Effects loop.....Off the top of my head.. Put all vintage chinese in and your set...

I've bonded with this amp more so than with any other amp I've owned. It has a ton of personality and character but never gets out of hand with brittle harshness, retaining a rich full palate of complex overtones no matter where the knobs are set. My JP2C ships on Tuesday and will arrive Friday. I wonder how long I will go without playing the C++ once the JP2C gets here? The C++ is "my" sound presently and I have it dialed in like no other tone in the world, thick and meaty with the 750 slider at 0, not Mr. V. I have gigs coming that I thought I'd use the JP2C exclusively for, but as the time gets closer for the mash up of amps, I'm leaning towards bringing both amps.

Back