Studio 22+ channel switching volume swell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frama78

Reaction score
I just got a little Stutio 22+. What an awesome amp, but I have found a little issue.
When I got it, the V5 PI-tube was destroyed, so I replaced it with a 12AX7A. But when I switch from Lead to Rythm, there is a strange thing going on:

When I switch, it take almost a second to switch from OD to Clean and in this time, there is a vulume-up-swell wich goes back to normal, when switching is finished.

Has this something to do with the V5-Tube? :?:

Btw:
full

I don't know if it's normal, but it seems to be pretty common. My 22+ does this as well. The delay between switching channels is small, but when switching from OD to clean the volume and reverb swells for a moment. It does it less if I turn down the reverb or if I balance the channel volumes more carefully.

Does yours do this if you turn down the reverb?

I doubt it has anything to do with the V5 tube- that's the phase inverter.

Hi Don,

thank´s for your input! It´s really a matter of the volume pot! If that´s run on the 4-5 range it´s ok. With volume on 8-10 as I run it, it´s more noticable. The reverb hat no influence to that.

But if that´s a common issue, I can live with that. I was just scared it there is something shooting the amp over the time.

I usually don´t switch channels that much since I have learned to use my volume pot :)

BTW:
I LOVE this amp way more than my Mark V:25. Glad I´ve sold it and got this little beauty :)
full

My volume is set at about 3! I'm a blues guitarist and like a cleaner sound. I even added a lead drive pot and have that set at about 6. These amps do clean up nice with the guitar's volume control.

I like to run my Volume high and get that "Kossof-Style" Crunch on rythm channel and thick highgain-lead on... lead obviously :)

I´ve noticed, that the Effects Loop ist very sensitive with devices when gain is set up high. I run a i.e. Time Factor set to line level and if the guitars volume pot is open, it starts to squeal (right word for "feeeep" :)?)

That Lead drive-pot seems interesting! how does this work and what is the difference?
I quess seperate gains for both channels. Or do you mean the Lead-Master-Mon on a Non-Plus?

frama78 said:
I like to run my Volume high and get that "Kossof-Style" Crunch on rythm channel and thick highgain-lead on... lead obviously :)

Being a big Kossof fan (and British blues/rock in general), I'll have to try your settings. I've been using this amp as a backup for too long and need to re-discover it.

frama78 said:
I´ve noticed, that the Effects Loop ist very sensitive with devices when gain is set up high. I run a i.e. Time Factor set to line level and if the guitars volume pot is open, it starts to squeal (right word for "feeeep" :)?)

That Lead drive-pot seems interesting! how does this work and what is the difference?
I quess seperate gains for both channels. Or do you mean the Lead-Master-Mon on a Non-Plus?

Lead Drive. My amp is a Plus. It just allows me to further lower the lead gain compared to where the volume is set. They're still not independent with this mod.

I also put the bright cap on a switch (mostly left on) and the tone shift cap on a switch (mostly left off).

oh, that sounds like cool mods, but I think not for me. I´d rather like to lower the gain of the rtm-chn than the lead one. but actually, i´m fine with the sounds and ballance I get.

the fx-loop is a little "weak" and not every device works or sounds good. Time Factor is not the best, pedals don´t work, but my old Lexicon LXP fits perfectly!

everytime, i play this little screamer, i´m getting more excited. what a joy!

Latest posts

Back