Mesa DC-5; help me pick a speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajvigs

Reaction score
Good Morning All

So I finally picked up a Mesa Boogie amp. I have been eyeing them for quite some time, and when I saw youtube videos of the Dual Calibers I knew I found the one. I was originally going to snag a DC-5 combo, but a head popped up on eBay for too good a price.

I plan to run it with a 1x12 cabinet made by Avatar. What speaker would pair nicely with the DC-5? I plan on using the clean and crunch channels to cover everything from blues to metal.

Thanks

A.J.

V30s are common with most Boogie amps but I also really like the G12T-75 with it. The DC-5 is VERY mid-heavy and so V30s can be really nasally if you don't dial out a ton of the mids. The 75s have a nice mid cut which can smooth out the nasally mids of the Dual Caliber. Those are the only speakers (other than the built in Celestion C90 Blackshadow combo speaker). I personally prefer the V30s (Although I use a Marshall cab with Marshall V30s which are smoother than noral V30s), but with the Graphic EQ it's pretty easy to change your settings to sound good with most cabs.

One thing, for doing blues and cleaner stuff, I personally find the V30s to be warmer and fuller sounding with low gain. For high gain it's all in the EQing to match it with the speakers.

Good call on the DC-5. I have a 5 and a 10 both heads and to me these are the most over looked amps on the market. These amps sound great with any speaker but you have to consider that only you know what sound your looking for. Also your guitar and pick ups are a factor too. The 1x12 Avatar cab is good starting point as they are a nice solid sounding cab. I would experiment with different speakers at your local music store. Bring your head and guitar down and try every cab you can find. Its the best way to find what you yourself are looking for. As for my two cents, I really like the Eminence Legends. They have a nice warm and fat tone to them and they stay nice and tight in the bottom end. They are not to bright sounding either. You should check them out along with the V30 suggested above and let us know what you find.

My Mesa DC-5 sounds amazing through everything I've run it through...

I really like it through a 2X12 with Scumbacks...

But it REALLY booms through my Marshall 4X12's....

Latest posts

Back