Mark IV recording in pentode mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msaglien

Reaction score
I find it difficult to record using the pentode mode without the lower frequencies jumping up at certain tones. And they are are hard to remove without cutting frequencies up to 180 Hz. I am starting to wonder if there is something not right, am I missing something?

My cabinet right now is a mini rectifier 1x12 (60 W).
All the tubes are mesa, except the V1 slot which is a tad12ax7a. I don
t experience anything that would indicate it is a tube issue. The amp sounds great really, it is just a bit of pain to record in the pentode mode when the bass is so dominating.

I have dropped down bass to 0, and the sliders / GEQ down, but it seems its the pentode mode that is setup in that way.

Any experiences on this? Could it be the cabinet not handling it like it should?

Thanks!

Marius

I usually record in trimode and class A.

One thing you can try (if your setup allows it) is to record direct from the line out on the IV. That will eliminate the power section and the cab. See if the bass is still an issue. If it is, you've narrowed it down to the preamp.

PS: I use a TAD in v1 too.

The line out, meaning the slave DI? That's a tap off of the power transformer. It would eliminate the cab, though, but then you'd need an IR or cab simulator to make it sound like a guitar amp again.

Are you on mid gain or harmonics?
When I switch the amp into pentode, I hear more bass and punch, so it makes sense you would hear that while recording. Why don't you use triode?

I should have been more specific. I was thinking of the "recording out", not the "slave out".

I use harmonics and have for the most part recorded in triode mode. In pentode mode, if presence is pulled, then I can record without the bass being boomy. It's when presence is pushed in it becomes too much, in triode mode it's ok. Much more balanced.

Thanks for all the answers!

Latest posts

Back