Mesa thiele C90 cabinet vs. EV cabinet size question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a C90 loaded Mesa thiele cabinet ($150.00 thank you jemwiz00) and noticed it wasn't as deep as an EV loaded one. Can I stick an EV in there if I wanted to? I never liked the sound of the C90 but I have to admit it sounds pretty decent in the thiele cabinet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60pZ-_APOdc

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/26016697411/in/dateposted-public/

Markedman said:
I picked up a C90 loaded Mesa thiele cabinet ....... and noticed it wasn't as deep as an EV loaded one.
Huh? Not as deep?? What does it's depth measurement?

And what do you have for a depth on the EV loaded Thiele?

Can I stick an EV in there if I wanted to? I never liked the sound of the C90 but I have to admit it sounds pretty decent in the thiele cabinet.
I don't see why not. Thiele cabinets were designed for use with EV12L's

A Thiele will help tame some of the ice picky-ness of a C-90 and help give it some bottom end.
So no doubt it sounds pretty decent in the Thiele (versus an open back 1x12).

It's 12 1/2" deep. I read some other threads and it must be the weight difference that made it seem smaller. I haven't used it at band level yet but this C90, if indeed it is a C90, sounds really really good mixed with the EV at bedroom level. I did own a Mesa EV thiele and sold it to a good friend and I'll be seeing his band next weekend. It seemed deeper, 15 extra pounds will do that I guess.

Markedman said:
It's 12 1/2" deep.
The old EV plans show an outside depth of 13.5" but an inside depth of 10.5". If you're measuring the outside, the difference could be as simple as some versions having a deeper lip around the front of the cab. Which shouldn't make much difference?

morgan138 said:
Markedman said:
It's 12 1/2" deep.
The old EV plans show an outside depth of 13.5" but an inside depth of 10.5". If you're measuring the outside, the difference could be as simple as some versions having a deeper lip around the front of the cab. Which shouldn't make much difference?
The old EV plans are different than what Mesa used for the depth. While maintaining the same cubic feet of internal volume (which if I remember correctly is 1.3 cf) Mesa lessened the depth of their Thiele cabs but made their thieles slightly wider.
I'll pull out my Thiele plans and let you know the depth.

Latest posts

Back