Mesa Mark III Cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan1990

Reaction score
Say I want to run 2 marshall 1960 cabs on my Mark III. How which Jacks would I use. And also the same question for 2 mesa rectifier cabs. I'm goin to run a two cab set up but the ohm deal has me worried. Thanks in advance

Make sure the cabinets are both the same ohm and plug them into the 4 ohm jacks on the back of the Mark III. It won't be a perfect impedance match if your cabinets are 16 ohms but they will run fine.

I run dual 16 ohm cabs on my Mark IV and the world doesn't end. Perfect impedance matches are ideal but Mesa builds amps to be able to handle a mismatch. Check out the manual for the Mark III online and it'll give a bit more details.

Cool thanks. I wanna run a 2 cab setup to get a huge sound but marshall or mesa is what I'm debating on.

chriselkjar said:
Make sure the cabinets are both the same ohm and plug them into the 4 ohm jacks on the back of the Mark III. It won't be a perfect impedance match if your cabinets are 16 ohms but they will run fine.
If you have two 16s, plug one into the 8ohm ouput and daisy chain the other one off that first cab. No mismatch that way!

Jordan1990 said:
Cool thanks. I wanna run a 2 cab setup to get a huge sound but marshall or mesa is what I'm debating on.
Which Mesa cabs are you looking at? In my experience a basic Marshall 1960 will sound squishy and midrange-y compared to a Mesa oversized. Mesa halfbacks are kind of their own animal.

I own a mark III blue stripe combo and I am looking for a cabinet for home recording (metal tracks). My 1st thought was to find an old thiele (evm12). My second thought was to get an old marshall 1960 (v30s) and lately I ve been thinking of getting a nice isolation box. That would make more sense since I can't run the master on that fucker as high as I wish I could. A friend of mine owns a "homemade" Box of Doom equipped with an evm12

http://www.theboxofdoom.com/box-of-doom-allxs-system-v30-8o.html

and he swears by it. One of these days I'm going to check it myself. If it can record tight guitars then this will be my pick, otherwise do you think that the old thiele would make sense? I feel that there's sth missing in the open cab combo. It sounds boxy...

Any sealed 2x12 or 4x12 will give you a much punchier and tighter sound. Unless you have understanding neighbors, though, you won't be able to crank it up much. An isolation box is a great idea too, though they can be just as expensive as a new 4x12.

lowercasee said:
Any sealed 2x12 or 4x12 will give you a much punchier and tighter sound. Unless you have understanding neighbors, though, you won't be able to crank it up much. An isolation box is a great idea too, though they can be just as expensive as a new 4x12.
Yeah. my friend is willing to sell it for like 700 USD

Randall makes and isolation cabinet with a V30 that sells new for $399. Probably not the same quality as the box of doom, but might be worth a shot. You could probably throw your EVM12L in it if you don't like the V30 tone.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/randall-isolation-12-speaker-cab

Jordan1990 said:
I wanna run a 2 cab setup to get a huge sound
Find two Mesa/Boogie metal grill cabinets with EVM-12Ls.
Take out any casters.
Set them side by side with their feet planted on the ground.

This is the only picture I have of any cabs side by side.
Newer V30 and older EVM-12L

sotosprince said:
I own a mark III blue stripe combo and I am looking for a cabinet for home recording (metal tracks). My 1st thought was to find an old thiele (evm12).
I've done some practice space recording (also metal) with various cabs and speakers (including 1x12 and 1x15 ported thiele-type cabs) and I will say this: while the classic Mesa TL806/thiele 1x12 is a great live cab, it's not my favorite thing for recording. In my experience

- those cabs are very finicky to mic as guitar cabs go, I'm guessing because of the ported design.
- even when I've gotten a sound I like out of it, it ends up being the low-end-filler that sits a little bit back in the mix, behind a V30.

I guess if I had to pick a single 1x12 for recording, I'd go with a sealed V30 over an EVM-12L thiele. For playing out it'd be the opposite though - I've done loud metal shows with just a Mark 3 combo (MC90) sitting on a thiele.

morgan138 said:
chriselkjar said:
If you have two 16s, plug one into the 8ohm ouput and daisy chain the other one off that first cab. No mismatch that way!

How would I daisy chain it? The mesa cabs have a through option or something right?
morgan138 said:
Jordan1990 said:
Which Mesa cabs are you looking at? In my experience a basic Marshall 1960 will sound squishy and midrange-y compared to a Mesa oversized. Mesa halfbacks are kind of their own animal.

I was leaning more towards marshall and putting 2 off the shelf Vintage 30s in them and leaving two t-75s. That's the combo I have in my line 6 valve cab right now and kinda like it. I'm still open to all options

morgan138 said:
Jordan1990 said:

Sorry I'd didn't even answer the question you asked. If I went mesa it would be whatever I find for the best price on Craigslist to be 100% honest with you. I want a top cab to set my head on and a bottom cab to set my clean combo amp on top up. I want the top cab more for a monitor to me because I have a bottom cab now and can't stand that I don't get the full effect of the speaker sound

Latest posts

Back