Problem: Using a DC-3 as a Power Amp - Volume Drop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon K

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the DC-3, or more specifically the power amp section.

I've had my DC-3 for about a year and have never really been fully satisfied with the distortion channel, especially for crunch and hi-gain sounds. My other Boogie gear is a Studio Preamp which I've had for about 15 years and I love the tone. I've never really owned a power amp that I loved though and at the moment I've only got one of those crappy marshall valvestate things just to have something to run it through.

Anyway, I figured it would be cool to see what the studio pre sounded like using the DC3 power section. I ran a cable from the studio pre's main output into the effects return of the DC3 (with the effect mix at 100%) but the level was really a lot more quiet than the level of the power amp when it's just the DC3 running as a normal combo. Turning up the output on the studio pre didn't make it louder, it just made the sound more distorted in an unpleasant, unusable way.

I kept going back and forth between the pre into the effects return, and the signal going straight into the DC3's front end but no matter what I did the volume difference was there.

I've only seen one other thread about this issue regarding a DC5, but found no answers so far as to a) why this happens, or b) how to solve it. Anyone got any ideas?

Latest posts

Back