Mark iv combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimidle1980

Reaction score
I posted this in the modern amp forum but was advised to post here so sorry for re-post!

I have a question about my Mark iv. I am currently running a combo together with a close-backed thiele extension cab. Both combo and can has ev speakers...sounds great. However I have the opportunity to purchase a rack mount kit for cheap. Would the sound be even better if I was to go this route, and run the amp through a close-backed 2x12 or 4x12

Would the sound be even better? Only you can tell.Tone is totally subjective,and what sounds good to you wont sound good to others.I might think the closed back/rack mount is killer,you might think it sounds like ***,and we'd both be right.My advise would be if you like what you have now,leave it alone.If you want to be adventurous and dont mind spending the $$$ give it a shot.

Ok thanks. I think I'll give it a go! Sure it won't sound like ***! The guy selling it used it for a mk 1 I believe. Do you know if it will be the same fit for a mk iv??

I think a better option would be to have a head cab built for the MKIV instead of the rack mount,I prefer the look of a head cab to the rack mount.I had one built for my MkIIC+ and used it with a 4x10 Marshall cab I had at the time.George,who goes by the user name gts on this board makes some killer cabs.

I'm curious about why rack mounting the amp appeals to you. Do you have some other rack mount guitar effects or such? If that's the case, then by all means, rack away. If not, it seems like an awfully bulky and inconvenient way to house your amp. As suggested above, a head cab might be a better choice.

Thanks guys. The only reason I am thinking about the rackmount is because one is available (with fan) for £50. A headshell - which would be my preferred option - would set me back over £200.

I think I might just stick with my current setup - combo plus extension cab - as it sounds great...but us guitarists are never truly satisfied are we? haha. Also, I'm struggling to find out if my mark iv will fit in the rackmount. And I guess it would be unnecessarily bulky.

You could also just unplug the combo speaker and experiment with whatever closed back cabs you have.If you find a closed back cab that does it for you,then consider a headshell of some sort.

stokes said:
You could also just unplug the combo speaker and experiment with whatever closed back cabs you have.If you find a closed back cab that does it for you,then consider a headshell of some sort.

I did exactly that with my recently acquired Mark IV combo. I hooked it up with my 2x12 Recto-cab (V30) as well as my Marshall 4x12 (G12-T75). Or a combination of combo with cab. It's all great just different. With the cabs the Mark IV pumps out quite a bit of low end and oomph (that's a technical term). I personally prefer the clean and orange channel with just the open speaker. The high gain channel is technically better through a cab for your typical hard & heavy applications. For a mid-rangy, sweet, typical Boogie lead sound I can go either way. Good thing is that my Triaxis rack with the cab(s) covers the heavy stuff (and then some) while the plain Mark IV now does the more classic tones and fabulous cleans (and then some).

That's not to say that I don't see the appeal of a head, be that a Mark IV, II, III or certainly the new JP2C+ with the midi and two EQs (if only it wasn't a "signature model"...). But then the wife will kill me.

Thanks for your advice guys...I decided to keep it as a combo and use in combination with the thiele, coz if it already sounds great then what's the point of modifying!! I've got another problem though. My clean channel (rhythm 1) has been sounding progressively more distorted, and now there is no sound coming from the channel at all. I'm guessing this is a sign of a failed preamp tube...right?? I'm particularly worried though as at the time the channel stopped working there seemed to be a weird burning smell...only briefly and then the smell went. Both other channels sound ok, but absolutely nothing on clean! Any advice guys??? Cheers!

Latest posts

Back