Mesa Mark III- Best amp I've owned..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el34sg

Reaction score
I've had my Mark III long enough to post this.. Red Stripe Simul Class greatness..
First off, until my Mark III I wasn't a huge Boogie fan. Although I've had at least a dozen Mesa's before the Mark III.
For what I do the Mark III is perfect. I held off on the III for 20 years after hearing they were so difficult to dial in..
It's the only Boogie I can dial in.. I don't know why, I only wish I would have picked one up years ago.

The clean channel sounds great, although I rarely use it live (so I don't need the R2 mod).
The way the Volume & Lead Drive sweep is something I've never experienced in an amp.
I do a reverse setting live & use the Drive channel for my main & R2 for a 2nd channel. Due to the
way the Volume & Lead Drive sweep I can go from Alt country to Garage rock to Metal.. The channels
are voiced similar, but still have their own voice.. No matter what I play my tone is believable & true..

I play SG's & Tele's.. SG's most of the time. To me R2 is total Marshall territory. The drive channel is Boogie, but sounds more
like a Mark IIC+. An old Barber Direct Drive for solo's & my Aramat TS9 for a boost.

Thanks Mesa Boogie for making an amp that took me 25 years to catch up to.. What an amp!

I hear you on the Mark III, it's an incredible amp! Prior to owning mine, I've never cared much for Mesa. I only ever really tried out the Rectifiers though and I still don't like them. When I finally tried out a Mark III at my local MusicGoRound, I was sold. There are so many sounds you get get out of it. It did take me a while to learn to dial it in, but I had fun doing it.

There is something special about Mark lll amps, the aggressiveness, it's so brutal and cutting when playing in a band situation it's amazing. I was Marshall/Fender for years before I owned a Boogie. I've sold a bunch of old amps and guitars in the last year but I'll keep my Mark lll forever.

I ve played and listened to lots of amps+preamps (cae+ se / triaxis / expensive marshalls / orange) and I ve yet to find an amp capable to deliver such aggressiveness and tightness as the mark III delivers. My mark III blue stripe is the real deal. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The mighty MkIII has been my favorite for the last 18+ years, since I first played one at Guitar Center and took it home that day (still have it). :D

I picked up a MkIV about 4 years ago also, and it has more versatility relating to the clean channel/separate EQ, but it doesn't inspire me the way the MkIII does when it's in heat! The lead channel is the voice of Zeus. :shock: I don't care that the MkIII doesn't get the glory of the others, it's my sound. Hence my name.

I think my Mark III blue stripe sounds great with any guitar combination, a Strat - a Les Paul what ever - the thing just sounds so sweet no matter what - but I do think its still is only a good 1 channel amp even though it has 3 channels - I cant seem to get the great tones I'm going for on all channels if I don't adjust each channel once its been changed. But that could just be me. Also you have to learn how to get a good sound out of it, it may mean you have to change your playing style like I did, but once you get it, MAN the thing just sounds friggen awesome, It took me a good 6 months before I started getting a good tone out of it, I was going to sell it on, but yea it all just fell in my lap and I just seamed to be able to get along with it and all of a sudden bang, Tone for days......

Rgards

Casey

I've had my fully loaded blue stripe for three or four years now and I also name it the best amp I've owned. One thing I like is that with this amp I hear every little nuance in my playing. I had an opportunity to by a wide green stripe head when I was 19, but I never would have been able to come up with that kind of money. I had wanted one since, and finally picked up this one in my late 30s. I can't imagine not having one from now on.

I picked up a Mark III no stripe a few months ago and I feel like I am still dialing it in some.

Great tone but I had to come to the conclusion, that if I change to the Strat or Les Paul I do have to go over and redo the settings for each one. I just can't seem to find a set that works with both guitars. I can get a good sound for either but it takes some tweeking as I change around on guitars.

For a 30 years old (1/6/86) amp with all original speakers and internals, EQ, New Tubes and I am a bit miffed that I didn't grab one sooner.

I had a studio full of amps and haven't turned any other ones on since I picked this one up. :mrgreen:

I agree! I own a 93 Tremoverb, Dual Rec Solo, Mark V and a Red Stripe Mark iii 60 w NO EQ. And My Mark iii is by far my favorite! That is just an amazing amp!!

UPDATE :
Tradedicated my Tremo and got me abother Red Stripe this one is the 75w GEQ
What a perfect amp!

I've played amps that had clean or distorted sounds I liked better in some situations, but never one that could do both (and everything in between) this well. If I had to pick a single favorite guitar head, this would be it (blue stripe simulclass with rev&EQ).

My Red Stripe Simul head is one of the best amps I've ever owned. One thing I do with it, and this is totally dependent on your style, is put a chorus pedal in the loop. I set everything super low (to where you can't even really tell there's a chorus effect) and it opens up the amp even more than just with the GEQ. I get nice Fender-y cleans all the way to modded Marshall tones, if I want. Straight Pyromania-era Def Leppard or 1987-era Whitesnake.

el34sg said:
I held off on the III for 20 years after hearing they were so difficult to dial in..
It's the only Boogie I can dial in.. I don't know why, I only wish I would have picked one up years ago.

That's funny, I didn't hold off even one day. The first time I played one at GC 15 years ago, I took him home. It's a lifer. 8)

I love my MkIV as well, although it doesn't give me the same kind of lead channel ecstasy. The only other thick I need is some kind of nice wicker/hardwood custom Mark, maybe a IIB. They are easily my favorite family of amps.....

MkIII Renegade said:
The only other thick I need is some kind of nice wicker/hardwood custom Mark, maybe a IIB. They are easily my favorite family of amps.....

There are three or four IIB hardwood combos on reverb.com last time I checked, in the $1400-$1800 range. Always wanted to see how they compared to my III, but my ever-patient girlfriend has already weathered six amp purchases in the last year...

Back