Mark IIB or III red stripe for clean channel?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkVplayer

Reaction score
I'm very interested in how noticeable the differences are in the clean channel of a Mark IIB compared to a Mark III red stripe. I have a IIA and am wondering if I should go for something else as it's pretty dark.

Any thoughts from people who have or have heard both?

igfraso said:
What speaker are you using with the II-A?
Started with the stock EV12L, now a Celestion Century Neo (not New "Vintage") due to the huge savings in weight :)

I had a llB and I thought the cleans were great, lead channel, not so much. I own a black dot Mark lll and have owned a blue stripe and I like the clean channel even better than the llB. The Mark lll clean channel should get more love I think, but the lead channel is something else and steals all the love. All of my Mark amps have the GEQ which is mandatory if you want crisp highs. Mesa amps are much darker when compared to Marshall or Fender amps side by side unless the GEQ is engaged. The first tube (V1) is a main character position and you should try a few different tubes to find the one that makes the amp sing. A new set of power tubes sometimes brings an amp around also.

I could NEVER get optimal cleans and lead out of a Mark III with the shared tone controls, Rhythm 2, and cascading gain. I've owned many of them including the Coliseums. If you wanted to use either amp for a dedicated clean sound, it will work. Otherwise, way too much compromise on either of them, IMHO.

JOEY B. said:
I could NEVER get optimal claeans and lead out of a Mark III with the shared tone controls, Rhythm 2, and cascading gain. I've owned many of them including the Coliseums. If you wanted to use either amp for a dedicated clean sound, it will work. Otherwise, way too much compromise on either of them, IMHO.
Yeah, I'm basically just thinking about this from the point of a dedicated clean amp. No doubt the Mark series amps all have "nice" cleans but I wonder if some are noticeably different voices or are they all pretty much the same as far as their basic sound and response.

mkVplayer said:
Yeah, I'm basically just thinking about this from the point of a dedicated clean amp. No doubt the Mark series amps all have "nice" cleans but I wonder if some are noticeably different voices or are they all pretty much the same as far as their basic sound and response.

If you are looking for a dedicated clean sound from a Mark series Boogie, you might want to check out a Mark I or Mark I re-issue. Input 2 on these amps have a great fat clean sound.

Latest posts

Back