Reverb mods/fixes for Studio .22+??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Anthony

Reaction score
I have a 1991 Studio .22+ w/EQ and lead drive mod. The reverb is pretty dry and trails off in the clean setting, but in the drive channel it is very prominent, and not in a surfy way, but more of a nasal honk. I talked to someone at the factory who said there wasn't much that could be done except to lower the reverb (I run it at about 7). I like 'verb on my clean sound as well as gain, and have never been fond of the reverb in this amp (I like Fender reverb). Any thoughts/mods/fixes/replacements? Thanks.

I don't have that problem with mine. I actually like the reverb because I can crank it more than the reverb in my Princeton Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb.
Maybe I don't have a problem because I set it a little lower. If I remember I'll try mine at a higher setting tomorrow.

I've not had much success with the on-board Mesa reverbs either but great sucess with sticking my old Alesis micro-verb II in the loop. Albeit a small hindrance to set up it (or likely and good digital reverb) should give you what you need.

got my amp tech to install a full size reverb tank, and it made all the difference.

I've heard of people moving the reverb tank from the side to the bottom of the cab, and that it makes a difference in projection. Any thoughts??

tonejam said:
got my amp tech to install a full size reverb tank, and it made all the difference.

I don't recall, is your amp a .22 with the reverb tank inside the chassis or a .22+ with the reverb tank on the side of the cabinet? I've tried a fullsize tank in my .22+ (which has the tank on the side of the cabinet) and it made very little difference, though the reverb on mine already sounded good.

I finally remembered to try the reverb in mine. It works fine all the way to 10. It never gets "drippy" like a Fender but it sounds good and it's pretty well balanced between the clean and lead modes.

I generally keep it set to about 4.

I tried swapping out a short tank for a long one, you have to make sure that the impedance or whatever electrical term they use on tanks is correct for your circuit. After dropping a few bucks on that, it made little difference. I gave up on Mesa reverbs long ago. I always go with a digital verb in the loop of my Mark IIC+ and Mark III. Mark I in/outs on the originals are pretty useless running an effects unit into them.

That or set them up for a good clean platform and stick pedals in front. They do that very well. Even though my Mark IIc+ has the best lead channel (for my style) I have heard to date, I'll still run it clean, through in front of it a Fulltone Full Drive, echo and reverb pedal and get great results too.

Back