Studio 22+ weight?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkVplayer

Reaction score
I've seen the studio .22s referred to as light weight, grab n go, etc., and I'm wondering what they actually weigh. Is there a spec sheet on the web someplace? Or maybe someone has weighed theirs and could post the weight?

I read a post by someone who owns one and weighed it, saying it weighs 37 pounds. Sounds about right.

Mine weighs 36 pounds. It's a great "grab 'n go" amp.

Do they have a 1x12 or a 1x10?

I assumed they were 1x12 but I just checked and the current version of these things (I think) the Express 5:25, is listed at 45 lbs. How would it have gained 10 lbs, a heavier speaker? Pine vs baltic birch plywood?

Also, while I hopefully have the eyeballs of some Studio 22+ owners... anybody feel strongly that the graphic EQ is required, as some feel about it on the Mk II? Or would it be more of a "nice to have" feature for tweaking. I am thinking about this for gigging not recording and just want a nice clean and OD.

They have a 1x12". I believe the cabinet is the same size as an old Mark 1x12" combo.

Mine does not have the GEQ. I wish it did but don't "need" it.

I put an Eminence Private Jack in mine. I thought the stock speaker sounded fine until I installed the PJ. Huge improvement in tone- less "honk" to the mids. It really made the amp for me.

mkVplayer said:
I've seen the studio .22s referred to as light weight, grab n go, etc., and I'm wondering what they actually weigh. Is there a spec sheet on the web someplace? Or maybe someone has weighed theirs and could post the weight?

Mine weighed 37 pounds. Has the Eminence 12" stock. Gigged it for 5-6 years.

Al

mkVplayer said:
Wow, that really is light! Thanks

My tweed Deluxe 5E3 clone weighs only 25 pounds and my Princeton Reverb clone weighs 30 pounds. My 43 pound Vibrolux Reverb never leaves the house!

Don said:
mkVplayer said:
Wow, that really is light! Thanks

My tweed Deluxe 5E3 clone weighs only 25 pounds and my Princeton Reverb clone weighs 30 pounds. My 43 pound Vibrolux Reverb never leaves the house!
I wonder how one of those Jensen Neos would sound in a .22? 8) Not sure how much the stock Emi weighs but it's probably 5 more than the neos.

Mine has a celestion G12 30 from 1980 that I sought out for it's low efficiency. It has a small magnet, and my .22 weighs 31lbs. 8)

Currently it is used 99% of the time at home. Were I to start gigging actively again and if the G12 30 isn't loud enough, I would start to try out various efficient Neo speakers. I had several amp nerd friends who used the original Celestion Century around 2002 with fantastic results, it wasn't until I got a EV 12L that I heard the same clarity, but that speaker is too heavy to bring anywhere... I love the G12 30 though!

If you're a constant tweaker, the graphic EQ may be necessary. Personally I find constant tweaking gets in the way of my playing. I find the sweet spot and leave it there.

tonejam said:
If you're a constant tweaker, the graphic EQ may be necessary. Personally I find constant tweaking gets in the way of my playing. I find the sweet spot and leave it there.
Yeah, I guess the question is if you can find the sweet spot without the graphic EQ, which evidently a lot of people can't on the Mark IIs, if they use both channels.
I read the .22+ manual and it says not to worry, they designed the OD without the graphic but I would have thought that would have been the case from the Mark II on.

mkVplayer said:
tonejam said:
Yeah, I guess the question is if you can find the sweet spot without the graphic EQ, which evidently a lot of people can't on the Mark IIs, if they use both channels.
I read the .22+ manual and it says not to worry, they designed the OD without the graphic but I would have thought that would have been the case from the Mark II on.

I normally do not use the EQ, but it can be very nice to bring out more mids or to put a smiley face not to make it sound super scooped, but to make it sound "louder" especially at low volumes. It can also help adjust to a specific room or room problem such as hard echoes and harsh treble. I really like it, but probably use it 5% of the time.

hgus said:
I had several amp nerd friends who used the original Celestion Century around 2002 with fantastic results, it wasn't until I got a EV 12L that I heard the same clarity, but that speaker is too heavy to bring anywhere... I love the G12 30 though!

I have a Mesa EVM12L Thiele cab that I use with my Studio 22+. It sounds incredible combined with the open cab with the Private Jack in it! Unfortunately, the Thiele cab weighs more than the amp- about 42 pounds!

hgus said:
I normally do not use the EQ, but it can be very nice to bring out more mids or to put a smiley face not to make it sound super scooped, but to make it sound "louder" especially at low volumes. It can also help adjust to a specific room or room problem such as hard echoes and harsh treble. I really like it, but probably use it 5% of the time.

I had a DC-3 and liked being able to tweak and boost the sound with the GEQ. I sold that amp because I didn't like it's dirty tone as much as the Studio's. It was more strident- more hard rock compared to the Studio's mini mark type of sound and didn't respond to picking dynamics as well.

Latest posts

Back