Mark IV tubes question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimidle1980

Reaction score
I'd like some advice please!

I'm excited as I'm going to be receiving my new (well, old!) Mark IV tomorrow. Looking at a pic of the back, it doesn't look like the output tubes are 4 x 6l6 (like my tremoverb), however it looks like a mix of 2 tube types. Here's a link to a pic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ihi4imchmodmut/Photo%2026-08-2015%2018%2031%2049.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone please advise me on what these are (I know it makes perfect sense to wait until tomorrow, but oh well lol)? And if this tube mix is common?

Thanks!

Jim

Those are all 6l6s. Just a mix of 2 different bottle types. Which is fine as they are all Mesa, they are likely still matched.

In any case. Buying a used amp is like buying a used car. Always change the oil regardless of what the dealer says. Same goes with amps. Always re-tube with new tubes when buying a used amp.

Check out the manual, there are a few optional power tube complements you can use. I use the 2 EL34 option, which sounds really great to my ear - a bit more focused, especially in the low end.

sduck said:
Check out the manual, there are a few optional power tube complements you can use. I use the 2 EL34 option, which sounds really great to my ear - a bit more focused, especially in the low end.
This is how I have mine configured too. Sounds good, and, gives me the option that I can switch to "class A" and use EL34s only.

Mark IV power tube settings allow to use matched pairs interior or exterior , you can even plug el 34 on the exteriors !
but make sure each pair are matched

Latest posts

Back