Few questions about 1980 Mesa Boogie Mark IIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 38959

Reaction score
Hi to everyone! I recently got my new amp - 1980 Mesa Boogie Mark IIB - and it sound amazing but it is somteimes little hard to figure out some thing on it, well at least for me. In past I had Stiletto Deuce head and box and Maverick 1x12. They were much more simple to operate but I love sound of this Mark. So I have question:

How I can dial in my effects in Pre amp out/Pwr amp in? It is not standard FX loop but only one jack input so i bougt Y cable where i have on one side stereo to other 2x mono jacks but I don't hear any effects when I connect then like that.

Second, I would love to control EQ and gain boost and even reverb with footswitch. Is that possible?

And my amp has at back behind output tubes (2x6L6 non simul-class) one switch and two jack input. What is that for? I searched online but found nothing about that...

Thank in advance for all help!! :)

By your description your amp is most likely a Mark IIA. The preamp/power amp is not a FX loop, it's just a way to split the signal, either for tapping the preamp to another poweramp or mixing console, the other way it is for a different preamp into the powersection of your Mark.

I found a usermanual online here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/564188/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-Iia.html?page=4#manual

The manual (page 3) The amp has a dual footswitch which can be wired to activat two of the following: gain boost, EQ or reverb.

The mystery switch is most likely the switch to choose between fetron and tube in V1. (Maual page 3 as well.)

Thaks Tony! I uplaoded pics...

drdxfb.jpg

2vd2y3n.jpg

ax1w12.jpg

If you take a look at the manual page 4, the jack far left under the chassis could be used for effects send, and return will then be the preamp/power amp junction. You could try this for a FX loop.

tha manual gave me all answers I needed, until now i was reading wrong manual, for IIB. now it's all good. thanks again tony !!

Somebody has added something... What's the blue box under the transformer with the plug in it? Also, should be two jacks under the chassis, one for the junction, and the other for a footswitch. You definitely have a modded rig...

Zlofengir,

Blue box is adapter for EU voltage 230V, I think. I'm in Croatia and amp is bought in USA.
There are 2 jacks under the chassis, look picture 3.

Get a G-Lab SA-1 or a C-lator to get the right levels for an effects loop using the one jack under the chassis.

I find I get better overdrive tones with the preamp volume at 7 or greater and the mid shift knob pulled. And sometimes pull out the gain boost. Lead drive 7 and up. The manual had suggestions, basic thing is to start with mid and bass very low (1) and move up slowly. The presence control on the back is important and speaker dependent.

Thanks b00g13mk2B,

I pluged my Marshall's footswitch and noted that if I want it to work I must activate gain boost and GEQ on amp otherwise footswitch won't be usable. Gain boost is so great and usable.

I connected TC Nova System in FX and it worked ok. Interesting, when TC is in FX there is no buzz at all. When I run only amp and guitar without TC a get some buzz ( or you call it hiss? :)

I have not used a Nova system, not sure if it can fully drive a Mark IIA power amp in. If you can't get full volume with the TC Nova, then your reduced hiss would be from the gain reduction. If you can get full volume, not sure. Are your tubes new or old?

TC, when in FX, only use effects and overdrive/distortion part is disabled. It might be from gain reduction but it's all gone not just reduced.

Big tubes are new but i'm not sure about preamp tubes. my amp tech told me that a lot of guys don't use mesa cause they have to much hiss for studio work. i bought it anyway cause it sounded great....

One more question please, what type is this speaker in my mesa mark IIA? (scroll up for pics) Thanks!

tnx MK IIB, is it considered good? it sure sound great to me but i have chance to get EV12L, I know these are highly recomended for vintage mark's...

I'm not familiar with that particular speaker but Eminence made/make great speakers.I have a Mesa "Black Shaddow" MS-12 which is made by Eminence and it's a fantastic sounding speaker.Sounds great with Mark series amps.I've only ever heard good things about the EV12-L speakers.Most people think they are THE speaker to have in a Mark so you can't go wrong with it.

it's great so i will leave it alone. i bought mesa lonestar 1x12 wideboy 112 box also. it came with tone king metropolitan (by eminence) speaker. you can get that only in metropolitan tone king amp. but i will put celestion gold that i have already. i will sell tone king speaker even i don't have idea how much i can get for it...

Latest posts

Back