Steve "The Colonel" Cropper

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zlofengir

Reaction score
Was watching a live Blues Brothers video for one of the songs off of "Briefcase Full Of Blues" album, and noticed that The Colonel looked to be playing what appeared to be Mark II with a 15"... Can't see any up close details, such as the EQ (Looks like it's there, doesn't appear to say Mesa) There was also something resembling a 4x10 Fender behind him, so it's kinda herd to say.

For all I know, Elwood coulda been blowing his harp through it.

Here he is during an SNL 1978 performance -- this is a MK I 1x12 -- I think?
blues-brothers-soul-man-snl-1978-176.jpg

Video at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Gt7Oiczf8

Near the end of that video you can see Cropper's cord going to the 4x10 fender amp behind him. As far as I can tell the boogie is only used for Akroyd's harmonica, and/or is just there for show.

sduck said:
Near the end of that video you can see Cropper's cord going to the 4x10 fender amp behind him. As far as I can tell the boogie is only used for Akroyd's harmonica, and/or is just there for show.
Oh right -- didn't see that.

The one I saw was from the Winterland show, New Years Eve '78; https://youtu.be/YTpiL_Leg-Q He was playing a Cream 1x15" Mk II along with his Fender Super Reverb (Talking about a recipe for major tone!!) I went to the Colonel's website, and sent him a message; figured it couldn't hurt...

Shock and disbelief when I got a reply yesterday! Here it is straight from Steve...

"I'm sure you saw a picture of the band with me playing through that amp. Actually it was a gift from John & Dan. However, after one show with it Belushi requested I bring back my Fender Super Reverb which was the one recorded on the album and one I still have in a road case stored. We performed 9 shows at the Universal Amphitheater of which they recorded 4 to assemble the tracks for the album. Which is live with a few over dubs and re-mix. I don't think the show with the Mesa was recorded. That amp by the way was stolen or taken and not put back in it's road case. We didn't discover that in time to track where it might have gone. We wanted to try it on an overdub while I was at Cherokee studios and the case was empty. It had been stored there for a few years so no way to find out when or where it went. I hope this helps your request. It was a super amp but not my usual sound. I play live now through a Fender "THE TWIN" red knob. Most of the albums I overdub on at my studio are played through a Victoria. Hand made after a Fender Twin. With two 12" speakers. Great amp. I still have my Fender Harvard which I used on "Green Onions" and most of Otis's recordings. On Sam & Dave's "Soul Man" I used my Fender Super Reverb. The same amp On "Briefcase" and the Blues Brothers version of "Soul Man"."

Part of me is hoping that my amp wasn't his; but on the other hand... How cool would it be to have THE amp purchased for Steve Cropper by Belushi and Aykroyd?

http://zlofengir.tumblr.com/post/125683143791

Very cool! Some great info there. I'm kind of surprised with everything that's available to him that he chooses to use an evil twin - not one of Fender's better efforts imho, although some people do seem to like it.

That's awesome he explained all that for you. Very cool he took the time. What a guy.

Steve Cropper is a legend, and it's super cool that he took the time to reply, especially considering the interesting and historic detail he provided. Seems like a great guy....thanks for posting.

We've exchanged a few more since, and he's dropped a little more info on me... Yes, he is very cool to take the time to BS with a lowly cat such as myself.

Post Script...

I tried reaching out to Mesa, but unfortunately, there aren't any records from back then available to show who bought what.

SO... Considering the timeline, Winterland was December of '78, and my amp is dated 11/78. There is a **** good chance that my amp is the one, but sadly, unless Mike B. or Randall Smith just happen to remember an order from The Blues Brothers, aka Aykroyd and Belushi, we will never know.

Guess I might as well try asking Dan... Can't hurt.

Wow! Very, very interesting. Steve sounds like a regular guy, one who loves to play and talk gear. Most impressive.

I would be very interested to hear any updates on this. It would be cool (for you) to find out it was the same amp.

Back