Mesa Boogie Amp Help Needed. Model & Year? Condition? Value?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gsr

Reaction score
Hi! What model is this amp, and is it worth alot? Should I get it checked/fixed up? All respons is greatly appreciated :p

This is my Uncle's amp, and he passed away many years before I was born. I'm a Keyboard player, so I dont have alot of experience with amps, and I couldn't find a matching picture online. 1981 Mark IIB is similar but not precis the same.
What does "A921" on the back stand for? I dont know stuff like that, and would really liked to find it out. (In general, I dont understand the back panel at all.)

The Standby switch doesn't work, when its down and I turn on the power, the sound comes right on. It doesn't keep the sound of? It has no effect at all. As of what I'm used to, thats not how it should work.
It is a shame if this amp is great without me even knowing it..! I thought that maybe i could use this with a Rhodes in the future? thoughts about that?

Any info/help you got is great and appreciated! Cheers from norway

Heres a link to an album of the three pictures, and I attached them below: http://imgur.com/a/Nl4nz#PH2Emp4 (Very Sorry for huge pictures!!)
PH2Emp4.jpg
eT9ia5t.jpg
DRwscnL.jpg

Your amp is a Mark I, 100 watts with graphiq Eq and reverb. To me it looks like a US transformer, does it run on 117 Volts with a stepdown transformer?
A921 is the serial number.
As you say the standby switch is not working proparly.
The rear view controls are as following:
Slave: Level control for the direct signal, before the power amp in the signal chain. The lowest of the two jacks.
The top one is a junction to split the signal between preamp and poweramp.
Pres: means prescence. Rev, means reverb.
The three jacks far rigth is speaker outputs, one 8 ohm, and two 4 ohms.
100/60 switch is for 100 or 60 watts, 100 watts runs on all 6L6's 60 runs on only two of them.
The tubes are the sylvania 6L6, still the best ones out there even if they are very old. Don't change them if they work and sounds good.

This is a rare amp nowadays and I would definitely have it checked and fixed.

Greetings from another Norwegian :)

That's a fully loaded Mark I (full loaded means includes 5-band EQ and Reverb).

You can obtain Carling standby toggle switch from various amp supply source, you have to get the "small bat" size ones. (But you live in Norway, not sure how the supplies over there).

The DYMO labels in the back means likely an mid-early Mark I. EVM-12L speaker.

I estimate this amp was build before 1980's, later 70's I'm guessing.

Have an amp tech check out the large electrolytic capacitors inside.

Value wise, really depends. For a Boogie aficionado, this is worth something.

Hope others chime in.

ps tony777 beat me to punch.

You could use it for rhodes, but it's not really voiced for that - it's a guitar amp. If you're really stuck for an amp, go ahead and use it - it's yours, after all. But you might be better served by selling it (and probably getting a really good price for it!) and buying a decent keyboard amp instead.

I'd be concerned about the very low frequencies from keyboard. You could damage the amp. Unlikely, given the heavy-duty design and components, but possible. It was not made for keys.

The amps circuit wont be damaged by using a keyboard,the speaker could be,but since it is the EV it would be able to handle the lows from the keyboard,as long as it is still in good shape.You can use it but it would be put to better use by a guitarist.You would likely never use the lead channel,you could sell it and get an amp specifficaly meant for keyboard with the money.If you do keep it,changing the switch is easy,I would have the caps changed if they are still original,even if your uncle had them done at some point,you say he passed before you were born,so they are likely dried up if the amp wasnt used for years.

That is the kind of amp that makes keyboard players take up guitar! Get it renovated by an expert tech, or best yet send it to Mesa if you can afford to let them do it. Then find a good guitarist to team up with and start writing songs.

I disagree with the others, DON'T SELL IT!

Most definately would be an excellent Keyboard amp. Everyone from Billy Preston, Merl Saunders, Stevie Wonder, Nicky Hopkins, etc..., have all had to call on guitar amps to deliver the goods. Some of the best recorded Wurly and Rhodes tones were played on old guitar amps...

Stevie Wonder ran his clavinet through a Pro Reverb. Check out his gig on the Mike Douglas Show from 72'-73'...Billy Preston used a Marshall Super Lead head while recording with The Beatles. He also ran his rig through a Stack of Twin Reverbs and Ampeg V4's with The Stones. Keith Godchaux from The Dead used a Mark I in 76' for his Rhodes...

That Boogie you have is a fine amp in general, and especially so for any instrument, especially with the EV Speaker...

The Graphic Equalizer is rare in Mark l amps. I would consider that amp to be a very desirable collectable and would bring you more than $2000.00US at auction.

Original Mark I

S/N: A921

Most probably born in February or March 1977

Latest posts

Back