Studio 22+ Speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff242

Reaction score
I bought my Studio 22+ used a few years ago and at the time it had been fitted with an alnico Jensen P12N which to my ears didn't really work. In fact it made the amp pretty much unusable with a Strat, but did sound absolutely wonderful clean with humbuckers. Drive was too fizzy though. So I swapped it out for a Heritage Celstion G12H 25 from my Laney Lionheart which was better but not by any means a perfect match.

I've been doing lots of speaker rolling recently to try and find something I like with a H&K GrandMeister and this weekend I picked up a Celestion A type and I think I've found the perfect match for the Boogie. Cleans are great, the bright capacitor on the volume control which I'd put on a rear mounted switch suddenly makes sense and the drive channel now has that fat singing tone that was in my head :)

I put an Eminence Private Jack in mine and it made the amp sound a lot better to me than the stock speaker- more articulate, less middy... It sounds great with a Tele, Strat, ES-335- anything, really

I put the tone shift cap on a switch on mine. When it's on, it's a typical Boogie fat lead sound. When it's off, it's more of a cranked Fender sound. It still is only on when the amp is in the lead mode. I've been considering putting the bright cap on a switch as well.

These amps have a lot of great sounds in them.

I had a 22+ for 15 years, and tried many speakers. The EVM12L was awesome in that amp. I also really liked the Weber Silver Bell 50w ceramic.

RussB said:
The EVM12L was awesome in that amp.

I should mention that I often use mine with the Private Jack and an EVM12L Thiele cab. They work very well together.

Latest posts

Back