Just bought a Mark II C+ combo - advice needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beng2040

Reaction score
Hi guys, brand new member here. I just bought the first Boogie I've owned in over a decade. I found a Mark II C+ online for a great price and couldn't pass it up. It's a non-eq model in the 1x12 hardwood cab w/ wicker grill. It appears to be a factory IIC+ and not a converted IIC (pull/deep switch). I'm not sure what model it is exactly but I'm excited to get it and find out.

I've stayed away from Boogies for so long because the last one I had (a Mark III blue stripe) was really hard for me to dial in. I'd get it perfect at home, take it to a gig, and my settings needed to be completely redone to sit right in the band mix. I will probably keep the IIC+ at home for the most part (if I decide to keep it) except when I have larger shows that call for the wattage that it has, which happens maybe 4-5 times a year.

I'm hoping to get some advice on EQ setting for the amp (keep in mind it doesn't have the graphic EQ) so I can dial in a good tone somewhat quickly. I have two small kids so I don't have a ton of time to tweak my settings right away and I'd like to find out if it's a keeper right away. Thanks in advance!
Ben

Congrats on your new babe! You must be really happy! Well, first things first... What kind of music are you into..?

sotosprince said:
Congrats on your new babe! You must be really happy! Well, first things first... What kind of music are you into..?
Thank you! I'll be REALLY happy once it's here (Monday) and I get to test her out for a while.

I'm into rock mainly. Not a metal guy. I like the singing lead tones that Mesa's are capable of and a nice rhythm crunch. I normally play vintage Fender amps. I love a big, round clean tone and use them as pedal platforms. I like the idea of having the IIC+ for recording and larger venues.

I would say that you could start with sth like this... Volume: 5-8, Treble :5-8, Bass: 1-2, Middle: 2-5, Lead Drive: 4-7. I suggest you search the forum for other posts. THis one is a good one...
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184

Also, remember... The treble adds more gain and the bass shouldn't be more like 2-3 because it gets flabby.

Get the Mesa 5 band EQ and put it the loop..Thank me later! :twisted: better to have it than not for $250

kippiejr said:
Get the Mesa 5 band EQ and put it the loop..Thank me later! :twisted: better to have it than not for $250
Is the EQ really necessary if I'm not going for Metallica type sounds? I've considered this possibility but I'm not sure the GEQ is something I need for rock tones.

I use my C+ without the GEQ for the most part and kick it in for a lead boost. Tubes, especially the first one or V1 should be a NOS tube. My settings with a Jackson guitar with a Dime-bucker pick-up are - Volume 1 8.5 pulled, treble 9 pulled, bass 5, middle 7.5, master 1 pulled, lead drive 3, lead master 8 pulled, presence 8-10, reverb 8. There's a secret stereo plug located on the under side of the chassis between the tubes to switch the reverb and GEQ on and off. I like an open back EV12 cabinet without the thiele on the bottom, 8 ohms screams better. I am not a background player, I'm a lead player, Hendrix/dimebag style, definitely a polar opposite of Eric Johnson tone, no pillow over my speaker, so YMMV. I've had my amp for about 3 months and my wife rolls her eyes when I say I'm off to play because she knows she won't see me for hours. This is the first amp where I play the amp more so than the guitar.
Here's what I sound like. -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDwDDZw94cY

Just an update to say that I believe this is actually a converted IIC. Not that it matters much as far as the tone goes. It's serial number 12,22X so it would have to be the earliest factory C+ on record or a conversion. Regardless, I feel good about getting it for $1500 with hardwood cab. Can't wait to try it out.

Well, I got the amp last night. It is definitely a IIC and not a C+. I don't have a footswitch at the moment to even check out the lead channel. I'm sure it's a C though...called Mesa to verify, there's also no + written on the back, serial number is too early, etc.

I called the seller to let them know and they offer to refund me $400 which would put the amp at $1100. It's a hardwood combo with EV, reverb, 60 watts (no simulclass), no EQ in great shape. Is this amp worth keeping for $1100? Should I send it to Mesa for the + mod given that I am not playing metal? I like what I've heard so far which is only the clean channel. I'd have to buy a footswitch to try the lead channel but if I'm in for too much $ already, I'd rather just find a IIB much cheaper and go with that. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Get the refund and use the money to convert it. There's two very important improvements of converting it to C+ specs. Obviously the lead channel, but the FX loop will come after the lead channel in the signal chain.

However just pull the lead knob and you're in lead mode, you don't need to wait for a switching pedal.
If that doesn't work, somethings wrong with the amp.

BTW. Upload some pictures :lol:

tony777 said:
Get the refund and use the money to convert it. There's two very important improvements of converting it to C+ specs. Obviously the lead channel, but the FX loop will come after the lead channel in the signal chain.

However just pull the lead knob and you're in lead mode, you don't need to wait for a switching pedal.
If that doesn't work, somethings wrong with the amp.

BTW. Upload some pictures :lol:

I tried pulling the lead knob...no change at all. That had me pretty confused so I assumed the pedal was necessary. I guess something is wrong with the amp...back it goes.

Brad737 said:
Sorry to hear that. My IIC is in Petaluma as we speak for the + conversion. If this helps to ease your pain, there's a really nice C+ on eBay right now for $1300, and he has a flamed maple cab available for an additional $200. Heck of a deal, if you ask me.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111688763631?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Thanks for the link. That does look like a nice deal. I might have to think that one over. I did find a Mark I reissue in brand new condition for $800 that I'm considering as well.

Do you mind if I ask what the cost of your conversion is? Maybe I can send mine in to Mesa and have them fix the lead channel along with doing the + conversion. Getting the $400 refund on mine might get me back to even.

The C+ conversion is $350, but I'm having a full service done as well. They told me that would be around $200. The C+ is a totally different animal from the Mark I reissue. FYI, the San Antonio Guitar Center has a Mk. I reissue for $700.

beng2040 said:
Maybe I can send mine in to Mesa and have them fix the lead channel along with doing the + conversion. Getting the $400 refund on mine might get me back to even.
I would do that, and include the service so it is top notch. There is something to the C+, call it mojo or whatever, when you learn how to dial in your settings, every playing hour is with a smile, no matter what configuration you have. Plus the mark series amps are so honest that it will make you a better player.

Brad737 said:
The C+ conversion is $350, but I'm having a full service done as well. They told me that would be around $200. The C+ is a totally different animal from the Mark I reissue. FYI, the San Antonio Guitar Center has a Mk. I reissue for $700.
Thanks for the info. So, $550 for the work and then shipping charges? That's a little too high for me right now even though it's perfectly reasonable as far as bench time, etc. Just don't have that much extra cash at the moment.

Is there a possibility that my IIC has a problem with a tube or something that can easily be remedied? I tried it again last night and the lead channel isn't working. The volume actually cuts when I pull the knob. Bad preamp tube maybe?

I'm really just looking for that signature Boogie liquid lead sound. The IIC+ may be above my needs. I mainly play clean Fenders with pedals but lately have been wanting a two channel amp, and since Mesa pretty much invented them, that's what I want. I am not trying to cop Santana's lead sounds, but I do like them and would like to get in the ballpark. Would a Mark I put me in that territory?

Ans thanks for the suggestion on the MKI at the SA Guitar Center. I might pull the trigger on that one.

The 2C and C+ have the best creamy lead channel tones out of the amps you are considering, in my opinion. I would use the $400 and put in a little extra to just have the conversion done. Mike B. is not getting any younger, and you have an opportunity for the guy that invented that iconic amp to do work on it.

Get the amp upgraded to a C+ and use a Boogie 5 band EQ pedal.
That is not a great solution I've found out. The pedal is not the same as the built-in GEQ, not even remotely close actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Griol1utfjk I just bought one and it will be listed shortly in the classifieds after a few more tests on my other, non-Mesa amps.

Back