Bedroom Volumes and Assorted Dumb Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson King

Reaction score
Out of necessity, I currently have very real volume restrictions. Running a IIC+, and of course, it takes a certain volume for things to "open up." Any ideas on how receptive a IIC+ would be with the volume pedal at the end of the loop? Dropping the output volume on my Mesa 5-band in the loop, which I figure would be pretty comparable, appears to be rolling off some of the highs.

Also, and here's the dumb question, any experience w/ SD1s running as a boost w/ these? Yeah, yeah, it's a Marshall thing, but wouldn't mind the little bit of extra bite these pedals tend to provide when running the volume full up and the gain at 9:00 or below. Would it ruin the IIC+ tone?

Does the IIC+ have the pull treble boost? Might help with low volume response.

I don't think you're going to find the volume pedal does much better than the EQ in the loop. Either way you're choking off signal and the speakers aren't moving much.

I sometimes use an overdrive at low volumes to help compensate for the lack of compression I'd be getting if I played louder.

If you like the way an SD-1 sounds into your amp then who gives a **** about what anyone else thinks?

Tried the SD-1 and, unsurprisingly, it did not work well at all. While they generally sound good boosting a Marshall or a Recto, definitely punching its weight-class in doing so, it's just a poor fit with the IIC+.

Interestingly, the balancing of the inputs from an old Lexicon unit is serving as a great low volume solution.

An amp will never act the same at different volumes no matter what
, physics dictate that rule. Somehow a whiffle ball bat doesn't do well hitting a baseball as well as a baseball bat does. The Sound can be made similar, heck I can get 99.999% close when recording something, imperceptible actually, but playing live mic'd up forget about it. What you hear at louder volumes is the way an amp dampens the speaker (the grip an amp has) plus the sound is loud enough to feed forward through the guitars pick ups. It's not that it doesn't happen at lower volumes, a 1 watt amp with a low watt speaker will obviously do this at a lower volume than a 100 watt amp. FWIW, I get good sound a low volume with my big amps, but grailtone can only be achieved at louder volumes.

that's why i have a Demeter iso cab, for speaker load, and to mic if i want to...
plus a weber mass lite, to further dial in subtle changes....
plus a palmer PDI-09 to grab a line level feed off the speaker out, before the demeter,
to get the full output of the amp if i want....
multiple possibilities with this setup,
and i use them all.

Have you considered an attenuator? They all change the tone a little bit, but they allow you to get those power tubes cookin' without deafening you.

Latest posts

Back