Speaker suggestion for IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad737

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just picked up a well-worn (i.e. trashed) Mk. IIC combo on eBay. I'm going to send it to Mesa for service and the IIC+ mod when it's delivered. Unfortunately, the original speaker was swapped out for a JBL D120F. I'd like to put either the EVM 12L or a Celestion 90 in it, as I think those are the original speakers for my amp.

I've listened to a ton of clips on YouTube, but very few of them mention which speaker they're playing through on the clips. Can any of you point to some good clips so I can get a feel for which speaker works best with the C+?

If you don't have clips, would you mind sharing your speaker preferences, along with any general notes about the differences in tone between these speakers

Thanks,
Brad

The stock speakers were the Eminence MS-12, or the EVM-12L upgrade. The MS-12 is 150 watts, and is better balanced than the Celestion C-90 (IMO). To me Celestions have a certain mid honk or bump that American speakers don't have. The C-90 is the most balanced of the Celestions I've tried, and is a good speaker for a Mark.

I still use the MS-12 in a 1x12 open back and couple it with an EVM 12L in a Thiele cab for gigs. These speakers have comparable efficiencies (volume level) and blend well together. The MS-12 handle overdrive nicely and can keep tight when raunchy, while the 12L keeps the highs clear and the bass thumpy. For early Marks (pre Mark IV) I prefer the MS-12 over the C-90.

I picked up an open back Mesa 1X12 with the EV speaker and it really sounds great. I also have a thiele designed EV equipped cabinet that I was using alone but it was way too focused by itself, but in conjunction with the open back cabinet it it adds a nice bottom end and extra depth. I also like the sound I get with an 80's Marshall 4X12 loaded with celestion speakers but overall I'll be using the open back EV cabinet most of the time, it sounds transparent to my ears, in other words, it sounds "right." I've yet to try the ms-12, but I'm waiting for one to show up on CL to buy. I did try a C90 once but it had that papery "White Room" tone that I don't jive with so I sold it. It was new so perhaps it needed breaking in.

dodger916 said:
The stock speakers were the Eminence MS-12, or the EVM-12L upgrade. The MS-12 is 150 watts, and is better balanced than the Celestion C-90 (IMO). To me Celestions have a certain mid honk or bump that American speakers don't have. The C-90 is the most balanced of the Celestions I've tried, and is a good speaker for a Mark.

I still use the MS-12 in a 1x12 open back and couple it with an EVM 12L in a Thiele cab for gigs. These speakers have comparable efficiencies (volume level) and blend well together. The MS-12 handle overdrive nicely and can keep tight when raunchy, while the 12L keeps the highs clear and the bass thumpy. For early Marks (pre Mark IV) I prefer the MS-12 over the C-90.

+1. The MS-12 in the combo with EVM 12L in a thiele can't be beat IMHO. But I often play through just the MS-12 and for me , that would be 1st choice as a replacement speaker in your 60 watt C soon to be plus with the EVM12L a close second. Unfortunately the majority of the YouTube videos don't accurately reflect just how versatile these amps are . Even less useful speaker pairing info. You can get a wide range of incredible tones from a C+ but most of the time the examples are dialed in very metal sounding. Nothing wrong with that but they are capable of so much more. Congrats on the amp I think once you get it squared away you'll be very happy with it.

Brad737 said:
Hello all,

I just picked up a well-worn (i.e. trashed) Mk. IIC combo on eBay. I'm going to send it to Mesa for service and the IIC+ mod when it's delivered. Unfortunately, the original speaker was swapped out for a JBL D120F. I'd like to put either the EVM 12L or a Celestion 90 in it, as I think those are the original speakers for my amp.

I've listened to a ton of clips on YouTube, but very few of them mention which speaker they're playing through on the clips. Can any of you point to some good clips so I can get a feel for which speaker works best with the C+?

If you don't have clips, would you mind sharing your speaker preferences, along with any general notes about the differences in tone between these speakers

Thanks,
Brad

hi Brad, Would be interested by the D120F , if you prefert the Ms12

I have the JBL listed on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271851701170?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

How much are you asking for the MS-12? When the JBL sells, maybe we can work out a deal.

Thanks,
Brad

BlackBoxy said:
Brad737 said:
Hello all,

Thanks,
Brad

hi Brad, Would be interested by the D120F , if you prefert the Ms12

Ahhhh...after all these years, it's still kinda hard to read inflection online. I thought he was offering a trade. :)

I should point out that I've already removed the JBL and popped in a G12-65. The Celestion is a better fit than the JBL to my ears. According to UPS, my EVM-12L is out for delivery, so hopefully I'll be rocking that tonight. It just depends on when the UPS guy shows up here. It's swimming lesson day for the kids, then dinner, homework, and bed, so I might be tight on time.

Thx alot, saw the auction!

would like to know, is the G12 65 a Rola Celestion of the last 70's?

No, the G12-65 is actually a Weber clone. Good news to report though. My EVM 12L arrived today, and I wasted no time putting it in my combo. Mercy, it sounds nice. I do have a MS-12 on the way as well, but it's going to have to be pretty special to replace the EVM.

BlackBoxy said:
Thx alot, saw the auction!

would like to know, is the G12 65 a Rola Celestion of the last 70's?

Brad737 said:
No, the G12-65 is actually a Weber clone. Good news to report though. My EVM 12L arrived today, and I wasted no time putting it in my combo. Mercy, it sounds nice. I do have a MS-12 on the way as well, but it's going to have to be pretty special to replace the EVM.

The MS-12 will be darker than the EV using the same settings. So don't judge it until you tweak some knobs.
But an MS-12 pairs best with an EV in a Thiele and the MS-12 in an open back (combo or 1x12 cab).
Dodger916's description really nailed it on the head.

Hello all. Quick update...

I found a used Mark combo cab with an Eminence MS-12 loaded. I gave it a decent workout today. I tried the MS-12 and the EVM 12L separately, and with both speakers plugged in as well. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessments. Personally, I can't really pick what I think is "better".

For cleans, I did prefer the Eminence. It sounded a little warmer at the settings I was using. Overdrive sounded a bit more "Marshally". I do think the MS and EVM do share some of the same vibe. At the volumes I was playing (i.e. loud bedroom) the EVM did that "singing" harmonic that Boogies are known for a little better than the MS.

I'm afraid my little experiment is going to cost me some more money. I REALLY preferred playing through both speakers simultaneously the best. The Eminence added warmth and crunch, while the EVM provided clarity and punch. My original intention was to see which speaker I liked best, then sell the other. I think I'd like to find a Thiele cabinet, and play through both speakers, like you all suggested. I've done a quick search, and the only Thiele I've seen is black, which is not my preference. I've pretty much decided on keeping my Boogie in the cream combo cabinet it's in, and having George make a wicker grille for me. I'll search for a little while, but I think I may have to just get a black Thiele and ask George to work his magic on it.

You guys are really starting to jack up my checking account. :)

Thanks,
Brad

Brad, you've stumbled into the Boogie pit of doom! Once you fall in, the slippery slopes of options and accessories keep you tumbling back down to the bottom. :D Over the past 25 years or so, I've reformatted my MkIII from combo to rack mount to head-only and swapped speakers dozens of times...added cabs and swapped tubes. There will be times where you are in heaven and others, hell. But the one thing I learned early on: don't flip gear. As soon as you sell a speaker, you change cabs and end up buying the same speaker again. Having all of these options on the shelf helps you create a custom solution suiting your tastes of the day, now.

Oh, and I highly recommend one of gts' head shells. You might need some taller feet if you set it on a cab with a top mounted handle, but it's a well built option.

Back