Mark IV - high-frequencies emphasized at high volumes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeasonOfPain

Reaction score
I love the definition and feel I can get from the Mark IV, but have noticed that when cranked on ch. 3 the high frequencies seems to be more piercing than I've seen on other amps at the same volume (e.g. my Triaxis + 50/50). While this isn't a problem while wearing earplugs, I can imagine it will be extremely piercing when playing live.

I have treble at about 6 or so (because I do like the gain characteristics of the treble), but presence is at around 1 or 2, and even with the high band of the EQ lowered way down it still seems to have too many high frequencies. I've observed this running through any of my cabs (built-in 1x12, 2x12 (vertical & horizontal), or 4x12), so I'm pretty sure it's the amp itself.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

You might want to experiment with some darker sounding tubes. Start with the #1 preamp tube, Telefunken 12ax7 is known for its smooth darker tone I use it and love the sound. Some complain they loose too much crunch which is mostly high frequency sound waves. I also run the treble lower and the presence higher. Good luck. 8)

I tend to hear that pulling the presence shift knob on the ch3 tames It a little bit. Having the 'Fat' feature on also helps.

But I agree with you it is piercing at loud volumes, I'm still trying to find a good equilibrium when cranked.

The MkIII is the same, I just decrease the presence at high volume (never more than about 2.5!!). At home, I have gone beyond ear plugs and use gun ear muffs. They do a suprisingly good job of allowing you to accurately hear what's going on while protecting your ears tremendously. :shock:

MkIII Renegade said:
The MkIII is the same, I just decrease the presence at high volume (never more than about 2.5!!). At home, I have gone beyond ear plugs and use gun ear muffs. They do a suprisingly good job of allowing you to accurately hear what's going on while protecting your ears tremendously. :shock:

LOL, my bandmate uses those at practice too (and he playes through a Mark III as well).

I was able to get fantastic mic'ed sound out of it through my horizontal Mesa 2x12 this weekend (first live gig with it). I just set it up at practice today atop my vertical 2x12, making a mini "stack", and it seemed to be less piercing than playing solo at home. Maybe playing with the full band just made the treble stand out less, as it seemed to blend really well.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

Latest posts

Back