Tone difference between Mark I and Mark IIA-B

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark3Boogie

Reaction score
I was wondering what are the major differences (Tonally speaking) between an early Mark I and a Mark IIA-B.
I have not found many tonal comparisons between Mark I and early II's.

Subscribed! I have a IIA (60/100, Rev, no GEQ, JBL speaker), but zero experience with Mark I's or IIB's. I've always wanted to be able to A/B some of the earlier Mark models just to have a better feel for their tonal differences and similarities. I've read the IIA described as more Tweedish, and the IIB as more Blackfaced. Does that mean a IIB is more scooped in the mids and less focused (stiff?) than the IIA? And where does the Mark I sit in relation?

Someone here claimed Mark I are more "tweed Bassman" while the Mark IIs are more BlackFace Fender. This member claimed the tone controls on a Mark I is before the preamp while the Mark II is after the preamp if I"m not mistaken. Personally I think both are more "SilverFace Fender" if you asks me.

The Mark II has a extra volume control so you could "balance" the Rhythm (clean) and Lead (drive) channels better. From me experience (very little) the Mark I was like a Fender with a boost pedal. The Mark II was more like a Fender with an overdrive pedal.

I have a Mark IIB and a buddy of mine had a Mark IIA. Mine seems to have more preamp gain but perhaps mine had "hotter" 12AX7s (the one shield) and his was no shield 12AX7. But the major difference was the reverb. His was tubby and mine was subtle and smooth (I did have the Mike Benedelli's mod). Other than that, I don't think there's much difference in the A to B.

Well...

I still have my MKIIA 60/100 Rev. Eq. combo and had a MKIIB 60/100 Rev. Eq. head plus Thiele cab that I have sold.

Speaking about the amps itselves, these sounded very close when connected on the same cab. Hearing the sound of Carlos Santana (i. e. albums Lotus, Amigos, Zebop) where I suppose that he uses a MKI, my MKIIA can sound accordingly, and so my MKIIB would.

My MKIIA is modified though, having more gain than the stock IIA and IIB, but still staying smooth and deep like the I, IIA and IIB, and unlike later models.

So I am akeen to say that the MKI, IIA and IIB are from the same tone category - I don't say identical, of course. But in comparison, later models starting at the MKIIC are different : gain is increased and agressivity too.

A+!

mark2boogie said:
So I am akeen to say that the MKI, IIA and IIB are from the same tone category - I don't say identical, of course. But in comparison, later models starting at the MKIIC are different : gain is increased and agressivity too.

A+!
I agree too.

I actually I abandoned Boogies after Mark IIs since the market was going for more preamp gain.

Only time I got into Boogie, well rather MESA Engineering when the Dual Rectifier (in my case Trem-o-Verb) was introduced. I wanted something "Soldano-like" (poorman's version). - lol

Snottyboy said:
Subscribed! I have a IIA (60/100, Rev, no GEQ, JBL speaker), but zero experience with Mark I's or IIB's. I've always wanted to be able to A/B some of the earlier Mark models just to have a better feel for their tonal differences and similarities. I've read the IIA described as more Tweedish, and the IIB as more Blackfaced. Does that mean a IIB is more scooped in the mids and less focused (stiff?) than the IIA? And where does the Mark I sit in relation?

Hey Snottyboy, did your II come with the JBL, or was it an upgrade a previous owner did? I'm wondering now if'n our rigs are more similar than we thought, aside from speaker size. Were JBL's an option in '78??

I only could only compare the Mk I mode of my Mk V combo to my Mk II; so I really can't give a true head to head comparison. Both sounded great through the EV-12L that was in the V; as well as the 15" JBL. But, I preferred the clean tones of the II, because they seem somewhat richer, and rounded. I have since traded the Mk V, because the II sounded better to me.

Zlofengir said:
Hey Snottyboy, did your II come with the JBL, or was it an upgrade a previous owner did? I'm wondering now if'n our rigs are more similar than we thought, aside from speaker size. Were JBL's an option in '78??

I only could only compare the Mk I mode of my Mk V combo to my Mk II; so I really can't give a true head to head comparison. Both sounded great through the EV-12L that was in the V; as well as the 15" JBL. But, I preferred the clean tones of the II, because they seem somewhat richer, and rounded. I have since traded the Mk V, because the II sounded better to me.

I'm not the original owner of my IIA, but the speaker does appear to be original to the amp. I read literature from Mesa somewhere that indicated the JBL was an option at the time my amp was built (11/79) and earlier.

I have a nice IIB for sale in the classifieds here. I know you're not interested in buying one, but if you live near Cincinnati, you're welcome to come try it out. Of course, Id like to play yours too! :D

Snottyboy said:
Zlofengir said:

I'm not the original owner of my IIA, but the speaker does appear to be original to the amp. I read literature from Mesa somewhere that indicated the JBL was an option at the time my amp was built (11/79) and earlier.

It's a well known fact that RCS got a lot of parts from Fender back in the day; I find it funny that he would actually use a Fender branded JBL speaker. Not that I am complaining mind you; the D-130F is an amazing speaker, and after comparing it to a later K-130, I gotta say, that I like the D series a little better. While similar, there is a slightly different mojo going on between the two. The K has now replaced the 50w Eminence in my Fender Excelsior, and given it an attitude to be reckoned with; 13 watts never sounded so good...

Zlofengir said:
Snottyboy said:
Zlofengir said:

It's a well known fact that RCS got a lot of parts from Fender back in the day; I find it funny that he would actually use a Fender branded JBL speaker. Not that I am complaining mind you; the D-130F is an amazing speaker, and after comparing it to a later K-130, I gotta say, that I like the D series a little better. While similar, there is a slightly different mojo going on between the two. The K has now replaced the 50w Eminence in my Fender Excelsior, and given it an attitude to be reckoned with; 13 watts never sounded so good...

Although the JBL speaker was an option, the amp would not have come stock with a Fender labeled JBL. Thanks!

Although the JBL speaker was an option, the amp would not have come stock with a Fender labeled JBL. Thanks!

I did think it odd... But after running across another 1x15" IIB on Fleabay ($2000 down to $1500, and no bites.) and Snottyboy's 1x12"... Three seemed more than coincidence.

Back