Cables, FX, and the IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebpedersen

Reaction score
Part 1 – New amp day

After spending a couple of pleasant but ultimately suboptimal years with a BFDR + some fancy boutique mid-gain distortion pedals as my main rig, I'm back in the Boogie fold – I finally convinced myself to just spend the cash already and get a IIC+. Here's a picture of my new mini-stack – the amp actually arrived before I had a chance to get a cab and a Thiele was all that was available at the time; I'm more accustomed to the open back sound so I'm enjoying that newness as well.

iic.jpg

Part 2 - The actual question

One thing I've observed over the last week is how sensitive the amp is to cables. I use an Evidence Lyric HG as my main cable, which for my BFDR rig was 'too good' – the amount of high-end that got through gave me the icepick tone (I play Telecasters), so I had to use the SRV trick of using a cheaper cable to round out the tone a bit.

The IIC+ on the other hand loves the Lyric. The difference in harmonics, sustain - everything good in the tone – is like night and day with the Lyric straight into the amp versus running through even a couple of true bypass pedals with a short (Fender tweed) cable from the board to the amp.

Question 1 Has anyone else experienced the C+ being very cable-sensitive?

Question 2 Before I go and spend a chunk on getting fancy patch cables and a second Evidence cable from the board to the amp, can anyone share their cabling setup that best preserves the magic? Brands, lengths, etc…

Thanks!

gts said:
Sorry no cable experience to pass on.
But fwiw your C+ is in one of my head cabs. (I think your the third owner of this head shell)

No kidding, what coincidence. Well, it's in London now, and a nice cabinet it is too.

Is the Boogie Board on its way out? Doesn't seem to have the same activity as a couple of years ago, weird.

It's not just Boogie amps that are sensitive to instrument cables - just about all of them are. I used to use some of those cloth covered braided tweed looking cables that look similar to the ones in your photos. I purchased the cables at MF/GC and think they were made for them. I stopped using them when I found that they attenuated the treble coming from my guitar. When I first discovered it, I switched back and forth from the cloth cable and a Planet Waves cable that I had. I could hear a distinct difference in tone, with the Planet Waves cable having more hi-end. I then compared a bunch of other cables I have and there was a difference. I stopped using the cloth cable for gigs and now just use them when messing around at home. I'm guessing that the cloth covered cables have higher capacitance than the other cables I have. Regardless of the reason, I no longer use them when I care about my tone.

The length of the cable will make a difference too, as longer cables have more capacitance and resistance. I don't think the tone difference will be as noticeable with smaller (i.e. patch) cables as it would for longer ones. The cloth covered cables that I was using when I noticed the tone difference were around 10-12ft in length.

zebpedersen said:
Is the Boogie Board on its way out? Doesn't seem to have the same activity as a couple of years ago, weird.

I just got back on after a year off. Things are a bit slower than I remember but not much. I have noticed that IIC+ threads tend to garner little response anymore.

I had Evidence cables in my rack and also used one from guitar to head. I ended up getting rid of all of them due to cutting out hi end and making my rig very dark sounding. I ended up buying Vandenhul cables for guitar to head and ELC cables for my rack. WAY WAY WAY better tone now. The Vandenhuls are expensive but nothing compares to them. As far as the ELC for the rack they are a very good cable at a great price. I run very short lengths. Im talking 6 to 8 inches, so for those lengths you really don't need any better than a mid quality cable.

dodger916 said:
Check out these guys: https://southcreekaudio.com/

I've been using their mic cables, and so far so good. Can't beat the price, and build quality is excellent.
Wow!
I'll buy a couple cables to try out for that price.

Latest posts

Back